Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,986   Online: 901

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Not small for sure

I use a Contax RTSIII. It is a wonderful camera but it is by no means small or light in weight. The extra weight of the body when it is almost always attached to 15 pounds of tripod is not too important to me. It is by far the nicest 35mm camera I have ever owned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole, The completely unbiased opinion of one who owns a few Olympus OMs over the limit (15 or 20 bodies and perhaps 40 lenses), would be an Olympus OM 3T or 4T. My favorite is the OM 2S, however with somewhat unreliable circuits I can't recommend you get that one. The Olympus OM system bodies are small, reliable (generally) and have superb optics. Although out of production, service is still available. I can give you the name of a good service person "downunder". Pricing is favorable. I originally started using them when the OM 1 came out in the late 70's as although my hands are rather large, my significant other had small hands. This system fit the bill. I am now using some of my OM accessories and lenses, with my e-1 which is not film capture, but rather d#g*t% capture. Please don't tell anyone on this list that someone isn't using film capture for all their work. Check out the OMs, you may find something you really like. Bill BArber

Shooter
    35mm
    "favourite" meaning what i dream of having or best of what i have used so far?
    I use a F80. Awesome camera...best bang for the buck.

Dream cameras?
    Leica M7 Hermes edition
    Nikon F6

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me vote for the Spottie, too. Newer versions *do* have hot shoes, starting with the SP2. They do not have a genuine spotmeter, it's center weighted, but I very seldom have my meter fooled by odd lighting. There is no bad Super Takumar or SMC Takumar glass, though you do have to watch the Super Takumar 1.4/50 lens for yellowing (it's got a radioactive thorium glass element, but the yellowing is supposed to be correctable by prolonged UV exposure -- I have one I'll be trying that with when I can find/build a suitable UV lamp) -- those lenses, however, are worth having; along with the SMC Takumar 1.8/50, they're some of the best glass ever made. In addition, there's a lot of very good M42 glass available in other brands -- Auto Rikenon lenses, for instance, are perfectly acceptable and even cheaper than Super Takumar.

I've had my Spottie (SP) for around 25 years -- got it in college. I later bought a somewhat more sophisticated Ricoh Singlex II, which has a hot shoe and Copal metal shutter with vertical travel, instead of the horizontal-moving cloth shutter in the Spottie, but the Ricoh no longer works, and the replacement Ricoh body I bought has a shutter that won't open at any speed faster than B (needs a CLA) -- the Spotmatic just keeps going. Even with the mirror foam getting tired, the shutter is quieter than the Ricoh ever was. I've gotten used to the dim finder, and I rather like the stop-down meter -- I won't leave the meter on and drain the battery by mistake, and I get a free DOF preview while I'm metering. Mine meters accurately with an alkaline battery -- the Spotmatic is one of the few cameras from the mercury cell era that used a bridging type meter circuit and is independent of battery voltage (mercury cells don't need this, but alkalines very much do).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm another of the OM gang. The 4Ti is my all time favorite camera, period, but the 1, 2n and 3 are all great. Other than that I have quite a soft spot for the Contax 167MT and the Bessa R.

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My favorite auto-focus 35 is the Nikon F100. Easy to use, easy to handle, and fun. My favorite manual focus is a toss up between the Nikon FE2 and the Nikon F3T(can you tell I'm a Nikon man). Both have taken a beating and given me nothing but love and great memories. For many years these to cameras went everywhere with me. I never should have sold them Ah the good old days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Small 35mm SLR with a good spot meter? Olympus OM-3 or OM-4 should do the job perfectly.

[QUOTE=Nicole McGrade]Hi everyone, well, I never thought I'd say this, but it's time to retire my Nikon F90X 35mm camera as I find the AE-L button just that too far away to get my thumb around. So I'm in the market for a camera with this wish list:
    Most important requirements:
    * Small for ladies
    * Quiet shutter that doesn't 'CLANK' everytime you trip the shutter
    * Very small and very sharp spotmeter in the viewfinder - as it's usually the only type of metering system I use. I do have a good hand-held meter as well if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After my F3 outfit was taken from LAX checked baggage after 9/11 I spent a couple of years looking for replacement, I looked at Pentax (have a 4 screw mount bodies and many lens which with a lens adapter can be used on newer AF bodies), Nikon (have 2 FG and several lens that were not with me), after a couple of years dithering on an impulse I bought a Sigma SA 9 and have been very happy. Light wight, small, easy to handel. The AF is not the best, but I tend to shoot in manual mode for the most part. I still use the Pentexs with prime lens, but the SA 9 with 3 lens has become my prime 35 mm traveling camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nicole

Nikon F80 would fit the bill, small and light its the only upper class Nikon for ladys! But I don't know the name in US and down under!
    Or if you really not like a little klack of the mirror then take a Leica M6 or M7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh
    Forgot to say my Nikon F5 is my own favorite and for travels the F100 or my Horseman HF 4x5 inch field camera!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin