Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,284   Posts: 1,681,142   Online: 691

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphmngo View Post

Notice a striking resemblance to something you might be reading this on?

Meanwhile... a binocular microscope... would be stereo in other words.

I have a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4 which I use for retouching negatives because you can see depth where the brush is going...

Thanks for giving me a great idea tkamiya... This weekend I have plans to do some printing... I can mount up that microscope over my light table and "proof" my negatives for sharpness before committing them to paper.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A stereo microscope has two lenses (and two eyepieces), giving two perspectives (of 3D matter). A binocular microscope has just one lens, but two eypieces, facilitating viewing (of plain matter).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What is the idea of using a stereo-microscope?
    Or do you mean binocular-microscope?

No, stereo microscope, ie. dissection microscope.... obviously, it being a stereo has no merit in this application.... but a microscope of this type has a wilder field of view and lower magnifications than a regular (compound) microscope. Mine goes down to 10x. It also have a larger transmitting type light source, which is basically a dedicated light box. I also happen to have one handy....

I have an Indian made scope. It's QUITE handy for many things....
    Last edited by tkamiya; 08-23-2013 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine looks like one on this link:
    http://laboamerica.com/Stereo/czm6/

I have a CZM4 which is 10x to 40x version. There are many less costly choices Ebay and Amazon, and everywhere else.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The B&L has two lenses - true stereo. I waited and got a good deal on mine, the prices today seem unrealistic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very similar to what I have, except mine is made out of wood.

Or:

YOu can just open up a Word page with no text, make it full screen and stick you negs up to your monitor in a plastic sleeve page. That works real well.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    I recommend something like a Carson MV-820 that is both an 8X loupe as well as a 40X microscope.

Of course if you have a bellows setup + slide copier that works too . . .

For scrutinizing the frame of film down to the grain, then you may have to resort to a microscope setup . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use clear negative pages, 8x loupe and light table or box. I use multi-element wide-field 8x Kenko loupe like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	used_8x_excel_professional_lou_q4689412.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	73419

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Notice a striking resemblance to something you might be reading this on?

Meanwhile... a binocular microscope... would be stereo in other words.

I have a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4 which I use for retouching negatives because you can see depth where the brush is going...

Thanks for giving me a great idea tkamiya... This weekend I have plans to do some printing... I can mount up that microscope over my light table and "proof" my negatives for sharpness before committing them to paper.
    Yep, a dissecting microscope is a very handy thing. If you're patient you can sometimes find them very cheaply.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I think I took 3 months waiting and checking the bay ... and I got a very good deal but risked getting garbage by taking the very ugliest... Only needed some scrubbing up, the optics needed a little adjusting. But it turned out I got lucky and then I used an old enlarger column to mount it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin