Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,538   Online: 859

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Granted the best answer was post #4.

hyphmngo, you will be well-served by that specific 8x loupe. I don't think you "need" a light box. You can use a window, computer monitor or glass from a picture frame over a light bulb.

The original gadget you saw is too expensive for the job and not enough magnification to see if the negative is sharp.

Please accept that the excessive discussion may be helpful to give you ideas of things you might one day want - may find at a garage sale or maybe you have lying around the house already.

But none of it is necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or make a contact sheet on 8x10 and then examine with a magnifier or loop.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Or make a contact sheet on 8x10 and then examine with a magnifier or loop.
    The O.P. has no darkroom, if he could make a contact sheet he could make his own enlargements.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a film scanner! Not exactly great but it has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The O.P. has no darkroom, if he could make a contact sheet he could make his own enlargements.
    You can make them in the sun, you don't need a darkroom.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    You can make them in the sun, you don't need a darkroom.
    Are you referring to the usual RC paper such as Ilford MGIV. If not what system produces contact prints of say 135/120 negs in the sun

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also use a piece of white cardboard illuminated by a desk lamp and a magnifying glass. Hold the film far enough away from the cardboard so that it doesn't cast a shadow. Simple, cheap, and effective.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Are you referring to the usual RC paper such as Ilford MGIV. If not what system produces contact prints of say 135/120 negs in the sun pentaxuser

NUTS, quoted the wrong post. I meant #35.

I hope that's meant to be tongue in cheek. You can hold the negs up against a window but it's not practical with a loose
    strip of film.
    Cyanotypes(sunshine prints) are simple but not convenient to examine negatives with. Kits are really inexpensive a lot of schools will use them to contact leaves and other misc. stuff.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    You guys sure know how to complicate the crap out of things!

If we didn't over complicate things, it wouldn't be called a hobby!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recommend buying an old, cheap ($40) Epson 2450 scanner to proof your negs. 35mm negs are tiny, and I finally gave up trying to see what was going on w/ a loupe. Making a contact print is possible, but again, really, really small. I've missed a lot of stuff doing that. I've had more than a few instances where I've printed negs that I shouldn't have printed if I had been able to see what was really going on in there. Some people have trouble making the switch in their mind from neg to positive too. A scanned neg blown up on a monitor will show up all the glorious faults that otherwise wouldn't be seen until you make an enlarged print. With 6x6 or even 6x4.5 I have no problems. The Epson's scanning top is also removable. You can lay it down flat and have a great light table, so it's a twofer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin