Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,169   Online: 1017
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    31

    Trying to make a zinc air 675 batt work for a Minolta SRT201 inst of mercury batt

    Hi everyone. I'm trying to make my srt201 work with a zinc air cell 675 instead of the original 625px mercury batt that is now banned. It came with one but it died this morning ! Just at the beginning of a back packing trip in Rajasthan India. I found a zinc air battery that is one of the alternatives. But the needles still moves to the box when I choose BC instead of "on", which is is the battery check. Also the light metering seems weird compared to what I had before. I tried with a guy to take off the sticker in the cap and put carton paper around the batt to make it hold more or less in place (aaah India). But it seems it doesn't work. People recommend a #9 washer but here in Udaipur I couldn't find one.

    Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

  2. #2
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,677
    Why not buy the correct the Wein Zinc Air cell PX 625 http://www.ebay.in/itm/Wein-MRB625-P...item27d37bf62b
    Ben

  3. #3
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Why not buy the correct the Wein Zinc Air cell PX 625 http://www.ebay.in/itm/Wein-MRB625-P...item27d37bf62b
    Yes, and when that 625 battery is shot, slip the washer off and re-use it on a 675!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm trying to make my srt201 work with a zinc air cell 675 instead of the original 625px mercury batt that is now banned. It came with one but it died this morning ! Just at the beginning of a back packing trip in Rajasthan India. I found a zinc air battery that is one of the alternatives. But the needles still moves to the box when I choose BC instead of "on", which is is the battery check. Also the light metering seems weird compared to what I had before. I tried with a guy to take off the sticker in the cap and put carton paper around the batt to make it hold more or less in place (aaah India). But it seems it doesn't work. People recommend a #9 washer but here in Udaipur I couldn't find one.

    Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !
    See if you can find an O-ring to act as a bushing, to hold the battery centered in the compartment. An alternative would be to fing some copper wire that you can make into a hoop to go around the cell, holding it centered. You'll need wire about 3/32nd in/ 1.5mm in diameter.

    Edit - make certain the contacts in the battery compartment are clean - the cell that "died' abruptly may not be dead.
    Also, the 675 is a wee bit thinner than a 625 - a small washer or a pad of tinfoil might be the solution. Be careful not to short circuit the cell, put any washer or pad on the positive side away fron the negative terminal and the tiny gap between it and the shell (positive).

    Be advised that Wien cells do not last long. Neither will the 675 hearing aid cells unless you block off 3 of the four airholes. You can block the holes with a tiny dab of glue.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-24-2013 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,769
    IIRC correctly the only difference between the Wein and a regular zinc-air hearing-aid battery is an additional hole to allow for more oxygen.

    If your camera is not to be used for awhile remove the battery and cover the holes in it with a bit of black electrical tape to keep it fresh.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    IIRC correctly the only difference between the Wein and a regular zinc-air hearing-aid battery is an additional hole to allow for more oxygen.

    If your camera is not to be used for awhile remove the battery and cover the holes in it with a bit of black electrical tape to keep it fresh.
    Wien cells have two holes, standard cells have four. You need only one for the intermittent and very light drain of a camera meter. I've got over two years on a cell with three of the four holes blocked. Two years last April, to be more precise.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    31
    Hi guys ! Thanks for the help. Erin cells don't exist here and I'm backpacking so I can't order online. Right now my o-ring is made of carton paper from the packaging of the batteries. The cell moves a bit sides but just slightly it seems the center more or less remains on the negative side contact.

    Also we removed the sticker that was on the cap, thinking it could help to make contact with the + since he diameter is smaller. Was that a bad idea ? Can it damage the camera or short circuit the cell ?

    If I put a thin foil pad, should I put it on the top part of the cell where the plus is ? Without the sticker is it going to electrocute me or damage the camera ?

    It's strange cause if I target bright light in clouds etc the needle goes to the bottom as it should according to the manual. And if I target dark corners it goes up. But I don't know why it keeps going to the box when I choose BC is it because its not the appropriate battery and just a "fix"? Thanks !

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    31
    Any help ?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    31
    Please if any one could help me figure out why the BC says its serviceable even though the metering seems to work. I didn't try a gray card and all but when I look at bright light or sun it goes down as it should etc. I also put a little 1mm or 2mm aluminum (thin foil) pad on the +side before closing the compartment. Didn't seem to make any changes. Thanks !

  10. #10
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,070
    Images
    60
    By "serviceable" do you mean "requires service"?

    The zinc air cells supply the same voltage as the original mercury cells, so they should be capable of making the meter work properly, as well as making the battery check work properly.

    So as long as you can make the physical size of the battery work the zinc air cell should suffice.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin