Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,667   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fsking Canon AL-1!

I bought a used Canon AL-1 about a year ago that was in fabulous shape, except for its Achillies heel - the battery door latch. Found a source for a replacement and after half an hour of futzing around with it I finally got it installed and the camera put back together. Well, today, the battery door latch broke. I really don't understand what Canon's engineers were thinking when they designed it. The other A series cameras also had a poor battery door design. I wish there was a good solution for this problem, but I suspect it's going to be duct tape.

Ugh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just think of broken battery doors as part of the charm of the A-series. If you've gotta fix it, I think electrical tape is less obtrusive than duct tape.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    The other A series cameras also had a poor battery door design.
    There had been four different battery-door/finger-grip designs at the A-family. I'm not sure if all are involved in faults.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if age is a factor. I had an AE-1 Program in the 90's and had no issue with the battery door.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The A-1, AE-1, AE-1P, AT-1 and AL-1 all take 6V PX-28 equivalent batteries and the cameras had the door on the front of the camera. This door was prone to cracking after many years. I've replace the door on my A-1 and my sister's AE-1. The AL-1 was the last A-series camera has a bottom door and takes two 1.5V AAA batteries. The latch on it is what breaks - a notorious issue with this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I wonder if age is a factor. I had an AE-1 Program in the 90's and had no issue with the battery door.
    No. The operative factor here is the presence of a door. No door, no latch. No latch, no latch breakage. No breakage, happiness.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Canon A series suffer from a less than sturdy door hinge that succumbs to excessive fingernail pressure. I use a paper clip, pressing inward and upward on the door latch, and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by CanonShot; 08-24-2013 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanonShot View Post
    The Canon A series suffer from a less than sturdy door hinge that succumbs to excessive fingernail pressure. I use a paper clip, pressing inward and upward on the door latch, and have never had a problem.
    The AL-1 is different than the other A series cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin