Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,700   Online: 945

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 50mm lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 lenses are excellent, in my experience.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 lenses are excellent, in my experience.
    I owned an OM1 and 1.8 back in the 70s/80s and it was indeed a great lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    ... I have used a couple of Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lenses and they are not very good. ...
    Respectfully disagree.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recently picked up a Nikon 50 f1.8 Series E from an member here for $6. So far it's a great little (very little) lens. Haven't developed any film with it yet but it works on all my electronic cameras. No auto functions but I still know how to adjust a camera for proper exposure. I think it's the best buy yet and I'm a deal seeker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the first decade-and-a-half or so that I shot, I never owned a 50mm lens of any sort. The subject matter before me was either "wide angle" or "telephoto." That changed, however, when I picked up my first M6. I bought the camera second-hand (it must have seen little use because it still had the plastic sticker across the base!) with a 50mm Summicron included. By virtue of necessity, I learned to frame in 50mm. While I subsequently added 28mm, 35mm and 90mm Summicrons , and a 50mm Summilux ASPH to my Leica arsenal, the 50mm Summicron remains a favorite. The lens remains permanently attached to one M6 body (loaded with HP5). By virtue of experience of shooting with the Leica 50s, I eventually picked up a 50mm F1.4 AIS Nikkor and, more recently, a 50mm F1.2 AIS Nikkor. Certainly not the smallest of lenses, nor quite in the same league as the Leitz glass, the Nikkors are solid performers in my estimation .
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really love my Canon 50 1.4 FD, best lens ever!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always been a fan of the Nikon 50mm f2. It's always given me great results regardless of its price. I have both the early single coated and the later multi-coated versions, and see little difference depending on the shooting situation, or film used. That said, my favorite Nikon 50mm is the 1.8 ais. It's about the size of the E series, but gives the sharpest pics of any Nikon lens I've used. A lot of users don't like that it's so much smaller than the larger ai version, and they believe that it isn't as good. I have never found this to be the case, in fact I think it might be a smidge better. (just my opinion) I've only used the older 50mm Summicron and it is a fantastic lens without a doubt. Some may find it to be reasonably priced, but that's very subjective depending on your financial situation. Most 50mm lenses perform better that people seem to believe. Maybe because for so long they were call just a "normal" lens, coupled with the fact that they are very reasonably priced, they were pooh, poohed. Zoom lenses became what everybody wanted, but now fixed focal length lenses are coming back into favor, I suppose because of their speed and build quality. 50's are cheap enough to experiment with, so you can have fun deciding for yourself what you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    With digital you can use Live View, or similar, to ensure focusing accuracy.
    Although this is a film forum but I keep wondering how can one use live view to focus? I never could figure that one out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Although this is a film forum but I keep wondering how can one use live view to focus? I never could figure that one out.
    Hit the x10 button and turn the dial. Live view on a film camera...now that really would be something!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Hit the x10 button and turn the dial. Live view on a film camera...now that really would be something!
    If you have to do the x10 and only see a little bit of the frame? No thanks I use the plain ground glass SLR viewfinder. Live view on a film camera it's quite possible. In fact I think Sony has the technology to do it already. But of course no manufacturer starts to make film camera now.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin