Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,072   Posts: 1,611,918   Online: 1225

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 50mm lenses

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

50mm lenses

MC Rokkor 50/1.4 should not be passed over. The 50/1.7 is also quite a capable lens and definitely is not "not very good".

To the folks talking about live view (which I can't believe we're discussing here) by the time you e achieved your "focus accuracy" I've already taken the shot and moved on.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCee View Post
    Attachment 73458Attachment 73457if you really want a compact Nikkor lens try to obtain one of the 50mm f/1.8 lens that were made from 1980-82 and originally sold only in the Japanese market. This lens is referred to as the "AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S" lens in most sources (link: http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/2/index.htm ). It's only 36.5mm from the lens flange and is a very nice lens (link: http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_50mm_f1.8_2257006.html ) These lens show up on eBay with some frequency, although the lens was produced for only a short period.

I recently acquired one of these lens on eBay for a reasonable price myself. After using the lens for a short time I'm quite pleased. Here's a couple of sample photos:
    AKA "pancake" 50mm.

The "S" marking is only on the box, not the lens itself.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    With digital you can use Live View, or similar, to ensure focusing accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Although this is a film forum but I keep wondering how can one use live view to focus? I never could figure that one out.
    Really?

Clearly my sentence states that you can focus with Live View with "digital". Although you clearly didn't comprehend it the first time so I'm not sure why you might comprehend it now. Have you heard of digital cameras and do you know they are different to film cameras? Where in my clipped and out of context sentence does it say that a film camera has Live View?

The entire paragraph is below.

Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    With digital you can use Live View, or similar, to ensure focusing accuracy. With film cameras you have to focus accurately in the viewfinder. You will get better image quality from an accurately focused image but not all focusing screens/viewfinders are equal. This is obvious to one and all but easily forgotten. Don't discount the importance of the viewfinder/focusing screen or your own ability to focus accurately.
    Again, and with the benefit of the entire paragraph instead of a single sentence out of context, where does it say you have Live View with a film camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^Dude, chill out!^^
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Because he used the word "although" he clearly understands that you mean digital.
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ +1 ^
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    ^^Dude, chill out!^^
    Call me Roy, aka Mr Furious.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    AKA "pancake" 50mm.

The "S" marking is only on the box, not the lens itself.
    The term "pancake" has been applied rather liberally to several of the various Nikkor 50mm lens. The lens I'm referring to was the one originally sold in Japan and focusing down to 0.45 meters, other U.S. lens focused down to 0.6 meters. In addition the so-called "S" lens has a metal barrel and is multi-coated, U.S. versions of the 50mm f/1.8 AIS lens were single coated. Here's a current example listed on eBay (no connection to the seller): http://www.ebay.com/itm/271263179815...84.m1438.l2649 The seller clearly shows the differences in the lenses with the photographs on the listing.

Based on a reading of the development for the Nikkor AI 50mm f/2.0 lens on the Nikon website "The Thousand and One Nights", which refers to the "S" type 50mm f/1.8 lens, it's clear that the latter lens has a superior correction. Tale 2 on the page: http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/index.htm

"Compared with the previous model, the NIKKOR-S Auto and the AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8(1980~) mentioned above, which had almost zero geometrical distortion, it is something of a pity that this lens did not have quite as good correction."

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    In my ignorance I was unaware of the S type Nikon lens. I wonder why it was never exported?

I don't get to decide these things but live view would appear to be more of a viewfinder concept than a digital imaging one. Large format cameras have live view of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The type S looks exactly as the series E I once owned. A great little lens BTW.

Edit: The above statment is wrong, mine was the 0.60m version.
    Last edited by miha; 08-26-2013 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin