Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,091   Online: 1025

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 50mm lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    May I mention the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2. It is rather expensive, but it is an outstanding lens in every aspect of the word.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want something rather different in terms of rendering, small, and relatively cheap, grab an FSU rangefinder (FED or Zorki; personally, I'd opt for a FED-2 or a Zorki-6) with a Jupiter-8 50/2. The lens is a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Sonnar 50/2 and gives quite a different look to the Planar formula lenses common to most SLR mounts. You could be into the whole rig for under $200 from a reliable (non-ebay) supplier.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite 50mm lens is the Pentax 50mm f/1.4. I have used it alongside the also excellent Pentax 55mm f/2, and Leica Summitar 50mm f/2, a Leica Summicron 50mm f/2, and a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5.

In my prints, I get the best results from the Pentax and the Summitar. Both these lenses yield very beautiful prints. The Pentax is definitely a bargain super performer, and is easily used with inexpensive cameras of the screw-mount type with the M42 lenses, and K mount camera bodies like the KX, K1000, MX, LX, etc etc etc. You can have a stellar performer for very little money.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have several 50mm in different mounts, I tested most using several film tests charts, my prime chart was put out by Modern Photography in the 70s to which I have added a rather generic color chart. I tested Konica 55 1.4 1.7, Pentax M42 and k 50mm 1.8 and 2, Miranda 55 1.4 and 1.8, Petri 55 mm 1.9, Kowa 55 1.9. Yashica M42 F2, and Mamyia 1.8.
    My testing is not scientifically as rigorous as I would like, testing out doors on my patio in the shade, but based on my samples I found the Konica 1.7 Kowa, Pentax 1.8, M42 and Ks, and Miranda 1.8 to be very sharp, the Konica and Pentax have better contrast and color than the Kowa or Mirandas, the 1.4s were as sharp as the 1.7 and 1.8 stopped down to F2, but was not sharp wide open. My Petri and Mamyia were good but not has good as others, the Yashica seemed to be the worse, but still ok. I have another Petri to test.

As most of the lens evloved over time I cannot say which Konica 1.7 of the several that were made is the best of the lot, I have just one to test. I also dont know if the issue was in the camera bodies, such as the focus being just off, or if over time a lens had been dropped or poorly repaired. But if I had to pick one lens as the best it would the Konica 1.7. Having said that I usally carry a pentax or mirdanda as I have a complete set of lens and only 4 Konica lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My favorite 50mm lens is the Pentax 50mm f/1.4. I have used it alongside the also excellent Pentax 55mm f/2, and Leica Summitar 50mm f/2, a Leica Summicron 50mm f/2, and a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5.

In my prints, I get the best results from the Pentax and the Summitar. Both these lenses yield very beautiful prints. The Pentax is definitely a bargain super performer, and is easily used with inexpensive cameras of the screw-mount type with the M42 lenses, and K mount camera bodies like the KX, K1000, MX, LX, etc etc etc. You can have a stellar performer for very little money.

When I shot 35mm my main lenses were an f1.4 Pentax and an f2 summicron, I had other Pentax standard lenses and they were all excellent, I'd had a Chinon 50mm f1.4 (K mount) and that was possibly better than the Pentax, I'm not sure who made them.

However I found my Summicron quite different in it's qualities, more tonal, greater fine detail and so deceptive. I've used quite a few different lenses and Japanese lenses are generally higher contrast with a more graphic sharpness, slightly less tonal, it's subtle differences.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    When I shot 35mm my main lenses were an f1.4 Pentax and an f2 summicron, I had other Pentax standard lenses and they were all excellent, I'd had a Chinon 50mm f1.4 (K mount) and that was possibly better than the Pentax, I'm not sure who made them.

However I found my Summicron quite different in it's qualities, more tonal, greater fine detail and so deceptive. I've used quite a few different lenses and Japanese lenses are generally higher contrast with a more graphic sharpness, slightly less tonal, it's subtle differences.

Ian
    The Summicron was nice, but for my purposes I literally have to look up what lens I shot with compared to the Pentax in order to tell, unless it was wide open. The Pentax does have a little bit more contrast, but that's easily overcome with a wee bit more exposure and slightly less development. I like the Summitar better than the Summicron, because of how open the shadows are.

Either way, there are very few lenses to hang on a camera where the lens is the weakest link in the chain - I gather it's usually the photographer that is the weakest link...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Really?

Clearly my sentence states that you can focus with Live View with "digital". Although you clearly didn't comprehend it the first time so I'm not sure why you might comprehend it now. Have you heard of digital cameras and do you know they are different to film cameras? Where in my clipped and out of context sentence does it say that a film camera has Live View?

The entire paragraph is below.

Again, and with the benefit of the entire paragraph instead of a single sentence out of context, where does it say you have Live View with a film camera?
    I did understand that you were talking about digital camera. But I couldn't use the live view feature on a digital camera to manually focus the lens. Someone suggested to put on the 10x magnification but doing so I could only see a small portion of the screen which makes the operation too slow. I much prefer a simple plain ground glass screen of the SLR for focusing.

Blockend said that it would be cool to have live view on a film camera and I said that it's possible as the technology to do that is available. But to me live view is the poorest way to focus.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since we've gone there already..............how to do manual on a digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RE: Minolta 50mm 1.7

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Respectfully disagree.
    +1 I always had great results. Also have been happy with my Sekor 50mm F2 on my 1000DTL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'm a big fan of the nikkor 35mmf/2,because it's viewing angle is optimum for me; still looking for a 43mmf/?.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin