Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,144   Online: 957

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 50mm lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Folks, for a bit of fun google "the 50mm lens and metaphysical doubt" and select the first entry on the search.

It is an piece written by Mike Johnston in 2002 for Luminous Landscape and still available to read.

I haven't had the oppertunity to shoot with many different 50mm lenses. I have a old 50mm f1.8 Zuiko, 50mm f1.8 Super Takumar, and a Sears 50mm f2 that came with a Sears KS500 (rebadged Ricoh KR5).

Thay are all OK, better lenses than I am a photographer.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I almost forgot, but I have also an old Leica-R 50 mm f/2 (Summicron) lens on my old Leica SL and it gives me beautiful pictures, with very nice contrast in B&W.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica-SL.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	73553
    These lenses and cameras aren't expensive as the M-system but very good!
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    still looking for a 43mmf/?.
    Closest would be a 28mm lens used on a Canon d*****l SLR, or some old compact rangefinders. I think it's the closest thing to a natural viewpoint.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    It is a piece written by Mike Johnston in 2002 for Luminous Landscape and still available to read.
    Konica's problem was they never made a professional body to match their excellent lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think what is important is than many 50 mm lenses have different character - one must see what is best for him. For example old 50mm summar gives such unusual character that I like - but I would not recommend this lens as general everyday lens.
    So, it is more about different characters of lenses, it is not about which one is more sharp - they are all sharp enough

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Konica's problem was they never made a professional body to match their excellent lenses.
    I don't think Konica actually made their own lenses. I vote Minolta was behind it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rokuosha developed the first domestically produced photographic lens for the navy's gun cameras that year.

and

In 1947 Konishiroku was listed as one of Japan's five leading photographic-lens makers and one of three camera-shutter producers.

from: http://www.mflenses.com/konica-konishiroku-history.html

My understanding is that the later Hexanons were also made in-house.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just remembered I have a Konica 50mm f1.4 lens also. Laying in a box in the closet. Last winter an aquantince gave me an inoperative Konica FS with three Hexanon lenses. The problem turned out to be a broken battery contact that was a stupid simple fix with a bit of brass sheet stock. Thing is I've got too many irons in the fire monkeying around with 4X5 and other photo related projects that I just never tried out the FS. Guess I'll have to load it up with more than the dummy roll I used to check the transport.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I think what is important is than many 50 mm lenses have different character - one must see what is best for him. For example old 50mm summar gives such unusual character that I like - but I would not recommend this lens as general everyday lens.
    So, it is more about different characters of lenses, it is not about which one is more sharp - they are all sharp enough
    +1
    Combine this with your favorite film & developer combination and you'll have a personal winner

(BTW: a camera (body) in the end is just an other black box, so that won't score much points in this equation - to me at least)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to try a cheap 50, $10-20, that does have a little character you could try the Industar 50-2 (50mm F3.5) in M42. Being M42 you can probably use it on a camera that you already have with a suitable adapter. It's a tiny lens.

It's a pain to use as the aperture is on the front of the lens and it's almost impossible to change aperture without accidentally changing focus at the same time. That's assuming you would ever stop down of course being plenty sharp wide open.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin