Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,765   Online: 980

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 50mm lenses

Shooter
    35mm

50mm lenses

My lens preferences seem to have come full circle, and I've returned to a 50mm as my standard after some years of wide angle mainstays. My criteria is the lens has to be reasonably light and compact, resolution good or better, and not subject to inflated prices. The three which deliver best are Nikon 50mm F2, Yashica ML 50mm F2, Canon FD F1.4. It's difficult to choose a winner as each have different characteristics. Any lenses I've missed out that I should try?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about a 50mm f2 M series Summicron, mine was reasonably priced and is an outsanding lens compared to most of Japanese manufacture - the design criteria are different.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always been happy with my Canon FD 50mm f1.4, and since all my 35mm S.L.R.'s are canon FD it can be used on any of them.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    At current prices, I think it's reasonable to buy a body to fit the glass rather than the other way round. I was particularly wondering about peoples' experience with Minolta MD, Chinon, Konica, Fujica and other makes of 50mm lens.

I agree benjiboy, the Canon 1.4 is a steal for the money.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't used many 50mm lenses. I have used a couple of Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lenses and they are not very good. I used about 3 Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lenses and they are fine. But both the Pentax K 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses really impressed me. The Pentax 50mm f/2.0 is not very good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I haven't used many 50mm lenses. I have used a couple of Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lenses and they are not very good. I used about 3 Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lenses and they are fine. But both the Pentax K 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses really impressed me. The Pentax 50mm f/2.0 is not very good.
    I've used Pentax f1.4. f1.8 and f2 50/55mm lenses and they are all superb that's screw mount as well as K and M series, there's no drop in quality with the f2's.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian , If he awares of Leica quality , he would buy it , no escape. To advising for a person who is hunting for Canon lens , it is useless to talk to him. He would come up one month later and claim Canon is better than Leica , same as Pentax and call you leicanut.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used my Nikon FM3a this week again after several years. I used the Nikkor 45 mm f/2.8P (pancake) lens that came with this camera and it's a fun set to use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon_FM3a_set.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	73451 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon_45_mm_pancake-01.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	73452 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon_FM3a_camera.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	73454 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikon_45_mm_pancake-02.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	73455
    Not 50 mm but close enough - and very small.
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 08-24-2013 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I extensively used the EBC Fujinon 55/1.8 (thread mount). Both the older non-EBC and the EBC are the same optically. I had the EBC (multicoated) version, and it was excellent- sharp, with great color and contrast. Its resolution and nice bokeh make it good for up close and when reversed for macro. It's all I used for several years.
    I wouldn't hesitate to get the non-EBC version unless I wanted to shoot into backlight and maintain highest contrast. IMO the 55/1.8 is better optically than the 50/1.4, and stands well against any other normals I've encountered, like the 50/2 Nikkor.

The non-EBC version (satin chrome aperture ring) will mount on any M42 body. The EBC version has a small projection on the back of the aperture ring for open-aperture metering on most bodies later than the ST701. That projection will contact the face of the mount flange on some non-Fujica M42 cameras (and K-mounts with thread-mount adapter). If that happens, either the lug can be filed off, or a body with a narrower (smaller outside diameter) flange could be used. I have a Ricoh with a 54mm O.D. flange which it clears by what looks like a half millimeter or so. I think it would just clear a 55mm O.D. flange.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Ian , If he awares of Leica quality , he would buy it , no escape. To advising for a person who is hunting for Canon lens , it is useless to talk to him. He would come up one month later and claim Canon is better than Leica , same as Pentax and call you leicanut.
    I've used Leica lenses on an M3 (loaned) and very nice they were. However my cameras are never cosseted and the idea of resting an M3 on a shingle beach, as I did this week to my Yashica FR, is not one that appeals. I'm thinking of 50mm lenses that can survive the cut and thrust of real life, outside a camera case or bag and deliver a good image. If it dies in the process, I want to buy another, not mourn its passing.

I've noticed the quality of my photographs are inversely proportional to how squeamish I am with a camera, and a Summilux would definitely instil delicate treatment.
    Last edited by blockend; 08-24-2013 at 03:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin