Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,830   Online: 965

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you can get past needing the retro look the Nikon F100 would probably fit your needs and the array of nice inexpensive lenses available is huge. Here's a good resource http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

The F100 does a fine job with manual focus, even tells you which way to turn to focus and when to stop. I will say that I do find a "retro" split prism focus screen a pleasure to use, but the F100 focus indicator will do a damn fine job of verifying focus.

In your position though, given you are buying lenses, I'd just buy auto focus lenses and setup the custom setting in the F100 for back button auto focus. This allows you to focus only when you push with your thumb, your trigger finger won't mess up your focus. It may sound a bit weird but once you "get it" you'll wonder why AF was ever tied to the trigger button, its fast, easy, reliable, and accurate.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography is just my hobby, and I don't do anything I would consider critical - just something fun.

I have tried for 1 year to make "peace" with the F2, and I just can't (it isn't in any way a bad camera, just not right for me) and I recently realized that if I can't take my RZ67 with me, I just don't take anything with me. Everyone is different, and what you appreciate may not be what I appreciate - which is why I gave a prioritized wishlist. If no camera perfectly fits the bill, I am fine with that, just thought I'd hear if anyone knew of anything that was close.

I didn't investigate the Canon F1 so I'll give it a look and hopefully it is what I am looking for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The shutter dial is a big one for me on 35mm cameras also. That's the reason I never really liked the f2. I live the fe/fm series because of that. Expecially the fe because of the needle match.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Want one that's sweet to use and has a great spotmeter? Find yourself a Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL. But beware, the meter cell for the spot, located behind the mirror, had a habit for going weak and cannot be recalibrated to match the averaging. But good ones are still out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikon FM2n has one vote here on my end. I'm switching to a beater F2 here shortly because my FM2n broke. It's a really nice camera. Very solidly built in my opinion. Only problem with mine was the black ring behind the lens mount broke and before it did, I think it somehow got some kind of residue from something sugary in it because changing apertures was difficult.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a few questions for the OP though. You said you can't see the aperture or shutter speed in the viewfinder when it's dark? I found when it's dark enough for me not being able to see the shutter speed or aperture in the F2 viewfinder then it would require a tripod in which case it's not a bother to have put the camera down to set exposure.
    I sometimes use the spot meter but almost never use the built in spot meter. I have the Nikon F5 and it's spot meter is good but unlike the hand held one it doesn't read out in EV. When I use the spot meter I generally would measure several points on the scene and calculate the right exposure. Having the readout in EV makes it easier to do so. And no I don't simply average a bunch of readings like the OM-4 does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If retro is at the bottom of that list, I can't think of anything better than a Nikon N80 since you already have at least one Nikon lens....It'll set you back less than $100.

By the time you slap a motor drive or grip on most of these "retro" cameras they'll be almost as heavy as a MF setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Photography is just my hobby, and I don't do anything I would consider critical - just something fun.

I have tried for 1 year to make "peace" with the F2, and I just can't (it isn't in any way a bad camera, just not right for me) and I recently realized that if I can't take my RZ67 with me, I just don't take anything with me. Everyone is different, and what you appreciate may not be what I appreciate - which is why I gave a prioritized wishlist. If no camera perfectly fits the bill, I am fine with that, just thought I'd hear if anyone knew of anything that was close.

I didn't investigate the Canon F1 so I'll give it a look and hopefully it is what I am looking for.
    If the F2 is not for you, it's not for you. If you could live with central area metering (not center-weighted, but a discrete central area) instead of spot, the older model Canon F-1 could work for you.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @chan tran: Maybe it is the viewfinder that I have, but unless I am in a well lit area, the readings are tough to see (the LED looks fine obviously).

Still researching the Canon F1 and so far so good - information is all over the place, can anyone recommend a comprehensive website to do some research? If the Canon turns out that it is a dead end, I'll maybe just get an F4 ("looks" is at the bottom of my list, but I did enjoy having conversation with strangers about my "odd" looking film camera - which then gives me the opportunity to preach the gospel of film photography - respectfully of course ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mir.com website I linked is pretty comprehensive and accurate.

One thing you should know-- there were two Canon F-1's of different designs, with the first having received some modifications midway through its run. The original is called the F-1. The modification of the original, with expanded ASA range and a shorter wind throw, is commonly referred as the F-1n. The new design is called the F-1N or New F-1. The New F-1 is the model which has the spot metering capability.
    Another plus for the Canon is that there are many excellent FL/FD mount lenses available cheaply.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin