Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,554   Online: 997

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Understand you're asking for the impossible re: retro look w/ modern features. F100 checks-off every 'functional' box but the seemingly least significant and only cosmetic feature. Retro look comes with retro features and functions. I have an F100 and several F2 bodies, among many Nikons. Compromise is always part of the program. Now if I could design my own camera...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    If a camera goes bad on me, my only option is to either fix it myself (I can do minor repairs if I have/can get parts) or throw it away. If I lived in a major market I wouldn't mind too much about reliability over the long term, but it is extremely difficult for me to ship anything to the US/UK to get fixed and returned to me (not to mention extremely costly). This is why even a minor trend in reliability (I define a trend as the same issues being experienced by different owners under typical usage - for the OM4 seems to have issues with the mirror getting stuck, shutter not cocking as well as the batteries). I could be wrong, but I did search Google for a while before coming to that conclusion (the OM4 has more issues than the OM4Ti, but the Ti has issues as well - compared to Nikon F2/F3 they don't seem as reliable).
    I've had two OM-4Tis and not had a problem with either. The original OM-4 suffered from an appetite for batteries but the Ti models are much better in this respect. The shutter and wind mechanism on the OM-4(Ti) was heavily modified and strengthened in comparison to the OM-2(n). The wind action (in my opinion) has a less pleasing feel to the earlier models but in the years I've used these cameras I haven't had a single failure in any aspect of camera function, mechanical or electronic. They have proved to be very durable in all weather. The OM-4Ti ticks nearly all your boxes with the shutter speed selector in the most ergonomic place - in the same plane as the focus ring and aperture ring, multi-spot metering and a very good illuminated viewfinder display which only misses aperture confirmation. I would always recommend buying the best condition camera you can afford though and my last OM-4Ti cost me the equivalent of nearly twice your stated budget. Light seal replacement is easy but I would suggest that it is worth the shipping cost to get a camera such as this properly serviced by a trained technician occasionally. The nearest equivalent f2 lenses at your stated focal lengths would be 85mm, 100mm and 180mm none of which I would expect to be under $300 in good optical and mechanical condition though the f2.8 100mm and 135mm are excellent and only fractionally slower.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    I have looked at all manner of cameras, and the OM4Ti looked ideal except it seems to be very unreliable (saw a few videos and internet posts about electrical and mechanical issues) and rather expensive compared to other cameras from that era.
    Of course none of these are available brand new from the factory so make sure the one you get has the official PASSED sticker . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica R4P (R4s Mod.2), R5 and R7 are small, have full-info bright viewfinder, spot metering and can be had for under 400 USD. For lenses you'll have to stick to summicrons and emlarits (f/2 and f/2.8) to fit your price-range. The cameras are quirky at times, with great motor-drives that just go, and superb lenses that needs to be serviced once or twice in their lifetime.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nikon FE2, FA, or FM3a. And perhaps get a bright E2 screen for either. Sensational, compact, ultra reliable cameras (I've had my FE2 since 1986 without it ever having needed a service, other than a foam-seal replacement twice now (I do that myself)) These cameras do everything you need and nothing you don't. If you don't mind the weight: I like my F4; alas it sits in an underwater housing and only gets used once/twice a year or so. But it runs ok with G-type lenses if needed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Get a De-1 for the F2 and a spot meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon FE. Thing is a tank and can use all lenses that are worth using.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Other than the system (drives, flashes, etc.) and interchangeable lenses (natually a big part of an SLR), I'd suggest the Oly 35SP fixed-lens rangefinder. Full manual, auto, spot meter, fast sharp glass, plenty of info in the viewfinder, manual focus...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by snay1345 View Post
    Nikon FE. Thing is a tank and can use all lenses that are worth using.
    a F or F2 in Nam stopped lead for a PJ might have needed some attention afterwards but he was ok he carried a second.

Built like a FSU T-34

Shooter
    35mm
    cool... my current herd of F2 bodies is what made me phase out all other cameras i had been using; don't even remember how they felt anymore

best of luck replacing The One!

ps. in a reasonably well-maintained F2 the shutter speed column turns easily at the tip of the index finger, no need to release the grip; eyeball and preset the exposure and you've saved yourself some shopping woes... of course, a new toy is always fun, go for it, all i'm saying is don't ditch the F2 just yet, it's a good one

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin