Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,034   Online: 751

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are still researching the Canon New F-1 you should look at:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...81_newf-1.html

and http://www.fdreview.com.camera-review.php?itemid=12

and you could ask detailed questions at
    http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an old Nikon N8008s w/ a split prism focus screen installed for all of my manual focus shooting (but there's a Nikkormat FT2 and an EM in a drawer that never get used). It has pretty much everything you mentioned, and it cost me $20, shipped. The spot meter is fantastic, and it takes Nikon lenses and Leica R lenses w/ adapters. It doesn't look like a modern DSLR, it looks like a very ugly, old, "modern" film camera. Big, bright viewfinder, AE, AE lock, all sorts of neat things.

I generally decide on my lenses first, then decide on a camera, since there's a world of difference between different manufacturers lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    F 4 might be the answer. FM2n has lighted diodes for exposure, but not ss. FM2n should be fairly inexpensive. F 4 might not be too expensive either. F 5 if you want to lug around a brick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Nikon F5 would fit the bill, Color Matrix Metering, within the price you gave and lenses in that range. With the F5 you don't have to buy and accessory motor drive but it is a big camera. The F100 and N80 also good choices.

Shooter
    35mm
    Second the F4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still shoot a lot using F-2 or F2A bodies using DP3 viewfinder metering systems and pretty old Nikkor lenses. Although I feel the DP3 is accurate for many applications, I use a hand held meter like a Lunapro or Sekonic because I think those results are more accurate for a particular scene than the DP3. In that respect, why go to a whole new system without even lens interchangeability?

I wouldn't toss the baby out with the bath water, so-to-speak, keep your F2 and Nikkor lens(es) and just use a good handheld meter.
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    I still shoot a lot using F-2 or F2A bodies using DP3 viewfinder metering systems and pretty old Nikkor lenses. Although I feel the DP3 is accurate for many applications, I use a hand held meter like a Lunapro or Sekonic because I think those results are more accurate for a particular scene than the DP3. In that respect, why go to a whole new system without even lens interchangeability?

I wouldn't toss the baby out with the bath water, so-to-speak, keep your F2 and Nikkor lens(es) and just use a good handheld meter.
    Mark
    Yes, totally agree.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am going to third a F4, with my reason is if you can get a nice one, it should last without any need for attention which I can appreciate your situation being in the middle of nowhere for service. With that F4 (may I further recommend a F4S), you will have zero issues with using all those Nikor lenses you already have AND if you decide you wish to do the autofocus thing, you have that option. I needed the AF to follow kids around, I just cannot focus like I used to anymore....I need autofocus. Perhaps you are not following around running kids and AF may not be a big issue. It's nice to have the option.

I would recommend an N90 or variant as a very nice substitute (and literally throw away price so if it dies, in the trash it goes!!), but with the AF thing, my F5 is really king and I use a TC-16A with it for my limited autofocus and slam a MF lens of any age infront of it (as I recall, any will work to include non-Ai, but I would have to check on that). That is how I beat the MF thing with the older MF lenses and have autofocus. If it's a meaningful photographic situation, I don't use this setup...this is for fun, casual stuff.

Mark's comment about a GOOD lightmeter and see if you can work that in your style. If it works, so much the better.....there aren't many cameras left that are as bullet proof as that old F-2 of yours.....

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Bob E too. I have two F4S' as well. Between the F2s and F4's, I'm told you can use them to pound fence posts AND they can also make nice photos. Great having the multi-function capabilities including using the Nikkor manual or auto-focus lenses. That's a real asset in my book. Pounding fence posts. . .nah, not so much but you never can tell in a crunch.
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    With a decent F2, you couldn't trade it from me for a train load of the later models.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin