Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,655   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Third Party 28mm Lenses.

Specifically I need a 28mm F2.8 lens for my Nikon N80 body. Nikon's F2.8 offering offering from what I read is not that great so I'm thinking something third party. I've thought about getting a different AF body that could shoot one of the earlier 28mm's but I'd rather just a lens at this point. Anyone with 28mm experiences?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon Ai-s Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 is among the very best in terms of distortion. It's sharp, too, with CRC.

Edit: I see you have a N80 so no metering with this Ai-s lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Nikon Ai-s Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 is among the very best in terms of distortion. It's sharp, too, with CRC.
    +1
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The newer 28mm F2.8 AF-D is a different optical design from the earlier AF and AF-N versions which were based/identical to the Series E 28mm. It isn't as good as the AIS version, but you'll need to be very critical to spot the differences.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been looking at the Nikkor 28mm f1.8 autofocus lens. MTF curves I found on the internet indicate it should perform better than the current f2.8 autofocus lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post

Edit: I see you have a N80 so no metering with this Ai-s lens.
    No metering, but it will work on the body unlike the non-Ai's. I just need to use a handheld meter or go Sunny 16.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have been looking at the Nikkor 28mm f1.8 autofocus lens. MTF curves I found on the internet indicate it should perform better than the current f2.8 autofocus lens.
    At what price tho? I'm not shooting professionally so don't need to spend that type of money.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried the 28mm f2.8E? I really like the results. No metering on the N80 but prices are very good on this lens.

Does it have to be a 28mm prime or would a nice zoom covering that focal length do? (Several nice zooms in the for-sale forum right now).
    Last edited by ArtO; 09-02-2013 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
    Have you tried the 28mm f2.8E? I really like the results. No metering on the N80 but prices are very good on this lens.

Does it have to be a 28mm prime or would a nice zoom covering that focal length do? (Several nice zooms in the for-sale forum right now).
    I've got a couple, 35-105 and a 70-210. Just nothing wide like a 28 and when you get into that territory it's too pricey for me, thus the third party route.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    Had 1980s AI-S vivitars once in 28 and 24mm. Very good lenses optically, but I didn't like that they focussed in the opposite direction than the Nikkors.
    I like my 35 f2 and 24 f2.8. Excellent copies (although the 35 is a bit flare-prone with specular light) that will outlast me; The 28 f2.8 is also good, but I'm more of a very-wide-angle person and thus use my 17-35 perhaps more often these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin