Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,332   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon MD-12 not working correctly - any suggestions?

I've just acquired an MD-12 for my FM-2n. The issue is as follows: when mounted to the camera, the motor whirrs and the red LED comes on but it doesn't advance the film or release the shutter. I've done internet searches and have tested it by shorting the 4 pins. When I do this, the motor whirrs but the the film advance drive dog does not turn. The shutter release pin is retracted. Does anyone have a suggestion to get it going again?
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds as if something has gone wrong with the internal gearing. It's a make or break decision. MD12 drives are not that expensive nowadays so should be easy to replace, or try to open up the works yourself and see what is wrong and if it can be repaired. It would probably cost more to repair professionally than replace.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 09-03-2013 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    down load the manual the operation is not intuitive.

the pin you reference is the rewind pin...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Noel... FWIW: the pin near the film advance dog is, indeed, the shutter release pin.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I get this once in a while with my MD-12. I haven't *exactly* nailed it down, but I believe it has something to do with synchronization. That is, the camera shutter is not cocked and film is not advanced when you attach the motor drive. Out of sync means that the motor drive *remembers* that the last thing it did was advance the film and cock the shutter. So now, it won't do its job because it thinks the camera is already cocked.
    When this happens to me, I manually cock the shutter so that the camera is in the state that the motor drive believes it should be in. The reverse is also possible. That is, the shutter is cocked when the motor drive state says it should not be. I know, this sounds like hocus pocus... but by fiddling with the camera with the drive disconnected, I can get it to work.
    I would love to hear if you can get your drive to work by this kind of fiddling. That would prove I am not nuts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I get this once in a while with my MD-12. I haven't *exactly* nailed it down, but I believe it has something to do with synchronization. That is, the camera shutter is not cocked and film is not advanced when you attach the motor drive. Out of sync means that the motor drive *remembers* that the last thing it did was advance the film and cock the shutter. So now, it won't do its job because it thinks the camera is already cocked.
    When this happens to me, I manually cock the shutter so that the camera is in the state that the motor drive believes it should be in. The reverse is also possible. That is, the shutter is cocked when the motor drive state says it should not be. I know, this sounds like hocus pocus... but by fiddling with the camera with the drive disconnected, I can get it to work.
    I would love to hear if you can get your drive to work by this kind of fiddling. That would prove I am not nuts.
    the first page of the manual says read me or damage your new toy

the symptoms you have are not hocus pocus

some of the operation is dependent on the serial number of your camera

the down load from the free manual site is free a repair costs money

I can't post a link from my phone

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Noel... FWIW: the pin near the film advance dog is, indeed, the shutter release pin.
    correct but see previous post

Shooter
    35mm
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you take it to a camera repairer, having the repair manual and being able to repair the equipment are two different things, repair manuals are intended for professional repairers.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    @Ricardo Thanks

@Ben the link is to user manual that came with the new cardboard box

as well as a serial number dependency the drive is dependent on leaving the wind on lever in fully parked position, there is a page on unjamming it after any rule transgression...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin