Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,686   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film leader cut for EOS-1n

Hi film friends,

I'm willing to try bulk loading and was wandering if I'll need to cut the leader of the film strip similar to the shape of boxed 35mm film, to load to my EOS-1n. Looking to the spool, it looks like a straight cut should work.
    The same question goes to the Olympus OM-1n. Is there any risk of jamming the film inside the camera? Any advice form your experience?

Thanks,

Hovig
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a number of different OM bodies, as well as a number of different Canon EOS bodies. I use bulk film.

I've never tried a straight cut with the OM bodies. But my practice is that when I rewind my film I stop before the leader is fully inside the cassette, so that I can take off the end of the leader as a "mark" indicating that the film is exposed.

The narrow part of the leader strip I use with bulk film is much shorter (about 1 inch long) than the narrow part of the leader strip on factory loads.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been bulk-loading 35mm film for years and just try to cut the film to roughly approximate the tapered leader you find on a regular commercial cartridge. I've found as long as the narrow end fits into the take-up spool, you'll be good to go. And this is with virtually all 35mm cameras, from Leica to Canon to Nikon, etc.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just started rolling my own bulk film to use in my collection of cameras, and I definitely suggest to cut a slightly tapered leader instead of cutting straight across.
    Just this past month, I brought a bunch with me for a trip up to Wisconsin, and had cut them straight across. I found too late that my camera's take-up spool only accommodated the lower third or so of the leader, so I had to hastily borrow a friend's nail scissors and recut the leaders of all my rolls!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the take-up spool acccepts full 35mm width I do not see any reason no to cut straight rectangular. (In theory rounded edges would be beneficial.)

But as long there is a chance the self rolled films might be used on a unknown camera one better should cut the leader approximating the industry standard to avoid what happened to Terry in the post above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a lot of bulk-loaded film in my EOS 3, and I've always just cut the end in as nice a rounded leader as anything that you'd see in a commercial film.
    Completely unscientific, because I've never tried a flat-ended one and tested if it works, but for the 2 extra seconds per roll, why not?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The point about the film leader is so the film's sprocket holes don't have to engage both sets of take up teeth at the same time, especially if the film has any curve to it. Engage the lower set of gears with a conventional leader and the top sprocket hole will engage no matter what, but cut the film straight across and sooner or later the top will snag before the bottom is engaged. It isn't a disaster, unless you are trying to load the film quickly.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shape of the 35mm leader is an historical anachronism; not worth worrying about at all. The EOS 1N will grip the film leader if it is placed in the correct position as indicated in the chamber, irrespective of whether the leader is the traditional pretty face or a slender shim. You could even get a giggle at how the 1N isn't fooled by an arrow-shaped leader.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your information, Steve's response was very interesting. What I understand, an angled cut should work well, based on Steve's information. I will try it that way.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    127 Format
    I m surprised there aren't leader cutters. Insert the end and press down, voila!

Well, maybe there were. Where can I get one?
    - Bill Lynch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin