Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,409   Online: 1166

Shooter
    35mm

F3 and F focusing screens?

Will Nikon F/F2 focusing screens fit the F3? I read they would, but I want to confirm before I do any damage. Thanks, Chip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, the short answer is no. You may be able to modify them-I don't know.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    35mm RF
    the F3 screens will fit a F2 although they have a 'key' the F3 screens are brighter... donno about full inter changibility F, F2, F3 the F3 may need the key to retain or fit...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    but the screens are interchangeable between F F2 and F3 registration frames if you have watch makers screw driver and are dexter...

Id only do this one time for scrap frames and F3 screens are brighter not for penny pinching nooooooo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Red dot F3 screen is brighter than F2 screens. But installed in F2 body, because of little difference in size, this lead to focus error.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kobaltus View Post
    Red dot F3 screen is brighter than F2 screens. But installed in F2 body, because of little difference in size, this lead to focus error.
    I'll tell my chum today he used a F3 screen in his F2 for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use F3 screens in an F, so I imagine it is visa versa. Just swap the mount from one to the other.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well a F3 screen and mount will fit in a F2 and should be same at infinity, only swapped F and F2 screens between mounts and Im told F4 screens will swap in to earlier mounts donno myself

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The screens are the same, however, if you install an F/F2 screen into an F3 without using the F3 frame, you won't be able to easily remove it. Nikon did that with the F3 Limited. Screen has the F/F2 style frame on it. A repair shop or someone with the correct tools is needed to remove the screen on that version.

Unlike the F and F2 bodies, the F3 doesn't use the same method of holding the screen and finder in place. Instead, it has a lip on the screen frame that is used to lift the screen out. The F4 screens have a different condenser glass piece, so there will be focusing errors if you try to use an F4 screen in an F3 or vice versa.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm RF
    my informant says you need to remove the F4 screen from the F4 mount a screw driver job

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin