Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,490   Online: 760

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get most of my used gear from KEH. They have fair prices. Not "garage sale/thrift store/Craigslist deal of the year", but much lower than Buy it Now listings on Ebay. Ebay BIN listings are comical.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blame the wankers with 4/3rds cameras, I tried building an OM system too but it's impossible because old men who like to write about their lenses bokeh are able to pay massive money for every lens I need and then proceed to take pictures of flowers with them. Same goes for the Leica stuff, and the Nikon stuff, and the Minolta stuff. Basically we're screwed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Does anyone with a Canon use Canon lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Blame the wankers with 4/3rds cameras, I tried building an OM system too but it's impossible because old men who like to write about their lenses bokeh are able to pay massive money for every lens I need and then proceed to take pictures of flowers with them...
    I don't think that's correct. You really need to blame all digital users, including the cine guys who regularly destroy (de-click) the apertures in manual focus lenses. The demand for many Alt lenses was high prior to 4/3rds cameras as long as the lens worked on a Nikon/Canon body, ie most Leica, Contax, Olympus, Nikon and many others. 4/3rds and APSc mirrorless cameras did create a demand for all the lenses that simply couldn't be used on Canon/Nikon due to a very short register or small image circle, ie rangefinder lenses, cine, Minolta, Canon FD/FL etc etc. But the demand was always there, and it will always wax and wane, but yeah, it is greater now than ever.

And I'll have you know I haven't taken a single photo of a flower for the whole day. Thank you. But the day is young

And here's a bokeh comparison for you:

... Same goes for the Leica stuff, and the Nikon stuff, and the Minolta stuff. Basically we're screwed.
    "Game over Man!", (Bill Paxton, Aliens)

Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    No. That's just crazy talk.

In practice, being able to use your existing lenses but on digital bodies has been a great benefit in many ways. I'm sure many will agree.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 09-07-2013 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    No. Not part of the issue. That is most of the issue.
    No, part. The other part is that those now interested in buying film cameras often seek used OM-1, OM-2 and OM-4T bodies, making the OM lenses in demand by traditionalists, too.

The 24mm PC lens pictured in my avatar was once valued at 3X (the new price) on the used market, after Olympus ended the film OM line and dSLR shooters had not yet driven up demand. It now goes for only about 2X the new price ($750 new)
    Last edited by wiltw; 09-07-2013 at 10:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've lost track. Who do we blame for having to pay $100 - instead of $50 - for a $200 lens?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    HaHa! I have a nice kit of Canon EF (the mid-level consumer grade) series of lenses, some zooms, some primes...but...
    I tend to grab my Nikkors before I put a Canon on Canon...
    I have a few lenses other than Nikkors...including a few Olys....
    ...including a 24/2.8 Oly (much better than the Nikon version) that I was lucky to find within my budget...
    ...and I have a couple of Oly 50s...the 1.4 and 1.8 that I'm "toying with" to see if I have any preference for them over the Nikkor 50s I have (1.4ais and F2-H)...

There are many lenses I've wanted that are regularly available and reasonably priced though more than I'd LIKE to spend...rather than stalk ebay for the rare "deal" and bemoan those who would outbid me at the last, I just wait to find them when I do at thrifts and pawns...and so in the end (is there ever an end?), I've a nice kit of interesting lenses....within my budget...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just remember everyone - once you've got your OM lenses, no flower pictures and for God's sake don't be old ...
    Last edited by pdeeh; 09-08-2013 at 04:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct spelling error caused by age and possession of digtal camera

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blame the wankers with 4/3rds cameras, I tried building an OM system too but it's impossible because old men who like to write about their lenses bokeh are able to pay massive money for every lens I need and then proceed to take pictures of flowers with them. Same goes for the Leica stuff, and the Nikon stuff, and the Minolta stuff. Basically we're screwed.
    Pretty much this - but yeah as others have pointed out there's a bit more complexity.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm fine with video guys using old lenses to shoot with, but while a few of those may be using OM lenses, most use Zeiss or Nikon. What really bothers me is the people who out price me on the Leica stuff and then stick those lenses on a tiny sensor. I've tried shooting my one and only Leica lens on a point and shoot and it was the most frustrating shooting experience of my life. But yes, the bokeh was lovely. And of course I photographed a flower with it because that's the only thing you can photograph since anything else will move before you can finish fiddling around with the 12 buttons you need to take a bloody picture.

I'm not upset though, I'll just keep shooting my Kenko's.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin