Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,459   Online: 825

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    more people are using conversion to digital is altering the wides mainly

more people going to om1 for serious photos

lots of lenses stored in lofts and out houses eaten by fungus the bogey man

there were not many non standard lenses compared to Nikon

bad news if you are buying

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You really have to scratch your head about internet forums. Someone posts a thread on lens prices, and someone else replies that it's a result of a photographer's age and flower photos.

No one has to grow old, you know. That prerogative is in everyone's hands, and what w/ the world being already overcrowded and everything....

I AM looking forward to more photos of Martian rock bokeh though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmmm I just had a leaf through some old Camera magazines from 1980. In the back there are private "classifieds", amongst which I found a OM Zuiko 85mm f/2 for sale for £120.

A quick scan of recent eBay "sold" items (worldwide) for that lens shows the most expensive at around £350, the least expensive about £100.

Using one of the online "inflation calculators", I found that a price of £120 in 1980 equates to the best part of £440 today.

The magazines also featured some nice pictures of flowers, and some of the pro photographers appeared to be over 40 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why does everyone want f1.4 and f2.0, fast lenses? They're bound to be more expensive when compared with the f3.5 and f2.8 versions but not necessarily better.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adjusted for inflation those pros would now be in their 70's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    Why does everyone want f1.4 and f2.0, fast lenses? They're bound to be more expensive when compared with the f3.5 and f2.8 versions but not necessarily better.
    Agreed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least with respect to the fast wide angle lenses, they are definitely easier to focus than their slower brethren.

The Zuiko 35mm f/2 is my standard lens.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    Because I live in Western Washington State and it has more cloudy and dark days every winter than most other places have in ten years. A fast lens is easier to focus and I don't have to push 400 speed film to 1600 for everyday use.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    And here's a bokeh comparison for you:

Which one is the good one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Which one is the good one?
    Most people like smooth, creamy bokeh (the first image) which doesn't cause any distraction or bring attention to itself. The most expensive cine lenses all have very smooth bokeh for this reason. On the other hand harsh bokeh does bring attention to itself, and is therefore distracting, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing, it can just be used badly or inappropriately (such as film/video). So to answer your question, neither is the "good one", they are just different. I actually like very harsh bokeh but it's not always easy to use well.

Both images are also from the same lens, a Meogon 80/2.8 enlarging lens! The bokeh is different depending on whether the OOF area is in front or behind the point of focus.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 09-08-2013 at 07:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin