Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,518   Online: 887

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Most people like smooth, creamy bokeh (the first image) which doesn't cause any distraction or bring attention to itself. The most expensive cine lenses all have very smooth bokeh for this reason. On the other hand harsh bokeh does bring attention to itself, and is therefore distracting, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing, it can just be used badly or inappropriately (such as film/video). So to answer your question, neither is the "good one", they are just different. I actually like very harsh bokeh but it's not always easy to use well.

Both images are also from the same lens, a Meogon 80/2.8 enlarging lens! The bokeh is different depending on whether the OOF area is in front or behind the point of focus.
    "Wenn ich Bokeh höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!" - Unknown photographer (20th century).
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The market and supply and demand decides the selling prices, and in the final analysis you have two choices, either pay the price you consider ridiculous or do without the item.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't you believe in Santa any more then?

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Santa?

Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Don't you believe in Santa any more then?

Noel
    What does Mr. Kringle have to do with the price of used lenses?
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    On this 'fast lens vs slow lens' debate, lens performance is not always a factor in selecting one over the other. All my Zuikos are the slower lenses because I value compact size and lighter weight and, as a bonus, all have the same 49mm filter size. Whatever we decide all choices invlove compromises and trade offs. Sometimes the littlest thing makes a big difference. On my OM-1 bodies I leave off the hot shoe, it is amazing what a preceptual difference that makes in the feel of the camera even though it is a very small part.

About the 40mm f2. I've had 3 pass through my hands, all purchased for much less than the then current adverage price. The last one I bought several years ago for $200 and sold for $600. That lens is just too valueable to be a user. All my Zuikos would be rated BGN or UG by KEH but work fine.

In regard to OM-1 vs M body size. I've had OM-1 for 40 years and when I finally got an M4-2 in 2010 I was surprised at how small the OM was sitting back to back with the Leica, only the mirror box makes it thicker and the prism peak is barely 1/2 inch higher.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Frankly, I haven't gone shopping OM lenses lately and my stable is the most basic lineup: 50 1.8 MiJ, 28 3.5 and 135 3.5. Very happy with all of them.
    HAve taken a quick bay look and I recall them being lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    The use of large apertures is not limited to bokeh-fiends or subject separation. Sometimes an extra stop (or two) is needed to make a photograph handheld at shutter-speeds that would would otherwise be impossible to hand-hold. For some, therefore, the difference between f/2 and f/2.8 is simply the difference between 1/15th and 1/8th.
    Agreed. I stick to the 50mm 1.8 for versatility; I'd use the 28mm more if it had those fractions of a stop extra. Very and specially useful and needed when using slow speed film... Kodachrome 64, that was a tough one at times.
    Nowadays with great fast films (thinking Portra) not such a concern, but sometimes that extra stop would be very useful.

As of the OM-1 size, it's still a quite remarkable one. I got an EPL2 with kit zoom, micro 4/3 which was deemed a nice format for minaturization... But the size of both is quite equal! So much for "progress". The same can be said about many AF 35mm SLRs however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    As of the OM-1 size, it's still a quite remarkable one. I got an EPL2 with kit zoom, micro 4/3 which was deemed a nice format for minaturization... But the size of both is quite equal! So much for "progress". The same can be said about many AF 35mm SLRs however.
    So they gotta shrink the sensor to make it as small as the OM?!

About the digital SLR...what a monster!

It almost dwarfs my medium format SLR!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Re fast v slow debate, I like fast lenses, but having said that, I think the 3.5 Elmar is one of the best lenses ever made.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    So they gotta shrink the sensor to make it as small as the OM?!

About the digital SLR...what a monster!

It almost dwarfs my medium format SLR!
    Definitely Mr.Maitani was a great designer! Matched an SLR to the Leica M's and with an air of elegance. Last friday I was around a video set and the director had a Minolta 7s... Which looked to me bigger than the OM, without direct comparison.
    On a trip my dad was surprised when he lifted my OM kit. 28+50+135+body. "This thing weighs nothing".
    Out of the forum scope, but almost no one nowadays put a 35mm sized sensor into a smallish camera! The 4/3 (and later m4/3) was marketed as an ideal size and for being smaller than the other formats. Now manufacturers seem to seek smaller size, but not on 35mm; Seems like it's quite hard to do... Perhaps it's something they will unleash some day for increasing sales.

At first I didn't see the OMs as THAT small, but having compared I see they are!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think since there is so much praise for the Zuiko optics on so many various forums across both film and digital formats the prices for these lenses will only go up. I track ebay daily for certain lenses that I want, Zuikos included and for the past year havent bought a single one. The prices have been quite high compared to a number of deals I was able to snag 2 or 3 years before. I am happy that I have my main shooting kit set, 28mm f2, 50mm 1.4, 85mm f2 on a few OM4Ts. I would recommend others to look for 3rd party lenses, as they are actually quite good as well. I have a 19mm-35mm f3.5-4.5 vivitar series 1 and a 35mm-70mm f2.8 tokina atx zoom lens that perform great for the price. I also have a Komine 24mm f2 which also performs very well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin