Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,005   Online: 1153

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The fast olympus lenses are also much harder to find it seems than canon or nikon. I think pentax is in the same boat and even worse.. the A series lenses still have full functionality with the new digital slrs!
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's basically praise for just about all Japanese optics of that era:

Nikkor
    Rokkor
    Takumar
    Zuiko
    Hexanon
    Canon

They all made great lenses (and if we were to really break it down, it might only be 3-4 actual manufacturers). Each cultist lens group establishes their liking and sticks with it. I'm a member of 2 cults: Nikkor and Rokkor, with a smidgen of Takumar. Commence the initiations now.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the bargain loopholes have been closed in recent years. There was a time when, if you avoided Nikon, Leica, Contax, Zeiss, you could bag a film outfit for a reasonable price. Now I'd struggle to suggest any branded manufacturer, or even the more high profile third party makes (Tamron SP, etc) to a new photographer on a tight budget. Zuiko were always niche compared to Nikon/Canon, I had an OM1 in the 1970's and only knew one other photographer with an Olympus, so prices are born out in rarity value. The sad fact is many of the cleaner examples of wide aperture lenses will be following the Leica example into collector's showcases, bumping prices further.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    when people dumped their film cameras for DSLRs there was a glut of kit and lots of it was left in out houses or lofts and tips, you could get it for free if you wanted

Olympus only made about 10k 40mm lenses they were always expensive.

Canon and Nikon are churning out DSLRs robots are making them.

There are a lot of Ch people who can afford them.

My chum has a Canon DSLR he was using a Pentax- M (K mount) 5cm with an adapter... he wanted my 35mm a canon prime is expensive.

They will be dearer tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Olympus OM Zuiko lenses and ridiculous prices?

[QUOTE=Xmas;1546797]

/QUOTE]

Swiss?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=rich815;1546826]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post

/QUOTE]

Swiss?
    Why not? We've blamed pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    Appreciate all the responses. Guess it just came as sticker shock as I'm so used to finding "bargains" for the Nikon stuff I've been building up. Didn't think the Olympus was so popular. Then again, I'm a user so I guess I add to the situation!

I'm not looking for any crazy price discounts (like an F1.2 lens for $50 bucks or something) but was just surprised to see how well the prices have stayed up. This is considering the digital/film landscape and... I guess those lenses get popular as they're now used by a ton of DSLRs with adaptors.

Sounds like a 40mm F/2 will have to be passed on. Oh well. On to a decent wide. Maybe a 24mm F2.8 or 28mm F2....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Seriously consider the 28mm 2.8. Remarkable quality and still relatively a bargain. 28mm is a favorite length, I've got lots of Nikkors and others in 28mm and the Oly 28mm 2.8 continues to amaze me.
    IMO the major makers put a lot of effort into the budget wides in the very late 1970's and early 1980's. The standard upgrade kit from the Compact SLR Era (Pentax ME, Olympus OM, Nikon FE, Canon AE-1) would be a 50mm, a tele-zoom and a compact light *not too fast* moderate wide. Up until the start of that era the 28's were usually a moderate slow f/3.5 OR a fast expensive f/2. Due to advances in lens design, faster computers and the market desire of the photography hobby boom of the mid to late 1970's, makers (nikon in particular) sank a lot of effort in designing the 28mm 2.8, in Nikon's case they went from the so-so Ai 28mm f/2.8 (which IMO was a hastily designed 28mm response to this Hobby market) to the stellar 28mm f/2.8 AIS with advanced optical design incorporating floating elements. The Olympus 28mm f/2.8 is Olympus response to this market, and it was launched about the same time. I think that the Ais has a margin in general but the Olympus is very close. To me it seems as Olympus got around not using floating elements by slightly favoring higher optical quality at the shorter focussing distance and compromised by allowing the distance focussing zones to be improved by stopping down. Just my POV from experience..
    (As an aside, IMO I think the Carl Zeiss for Contax 28mm f/2.8 is a further example of this market, I've never used this lens but apparently its the Bee's Knees.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Didn't think the Olympus was so popular. Then again, I'm a user so I guess I add to the situation!
    I think the price is high simply because Olympus lenses are good.

Everybody dropped their film system's because of digital. So when they come back into the market for lenses to use with their m4/3 cameras etc. there is no brand loyalty at work. So instead they look for quality, and if it isn't Leica they go for it's Olympus and Pentax not far behind.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally recommend 28mm f/3.5 zuiko. The only lens I have used to shoot in Italy last year. More over I have paid Euro 40 for it.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin