Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 791

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The prices of Olympus lenses aren't ridiculous if you are selling them .
    Ben

Shooter
    127 Format
    But still, the prices of Olympus Zuiko lenses, even now, are sheer bargains compared to brand new DSLR lenses.

If they can be adapted, they will find demand. Even the 50/1.8's that we got free with broken bodies or paid $5-$15 a couple of years ago are going for more than 50/1.4's used to.

Not long ago I remember laughing when I saw 50/1.4's selling for $50, thinking "who would pay that much?". Now look.
    - Bill Lynch

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any 50/1.4 from any of the major Japanese manufacturers is worth atleast 50$ just in usefulness and quality. When quality lenses are selling for 10$ that's just crazy.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Appreciate all the responses. Guess it just came as sticker shock as I'm so used to finding "bargains" for the Nikon stuff I've been building up. Didn't think the Olympus was so popular. Then again, I'm a user so I guess I add to the situation!

I'm not looking for any crazy price discounts (like an F1.2 lens for $50 bucks or something) but was just surprised to see how well the prices have stayed up. This is considering the digital/film landscape and... I guess those lenses get popular as they're now used by a ton of DSLRs with adaptors.

Sounds like a 40mm F/2 will have to be passed on. Oh well. On to a decent wide. Maybe a 24mm F2.8 or 28mm F2....
    There are still some lenses that are reasonably priced. look for a 100mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 28mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy any reasonably priced OM , the 24/2.8 is the one to have. Ironically, the 28/2.8 is the worst of the 3 OM 28s. The 28/2 is tops, then the 28/3.5, which is usually a bargain, and of course, tiny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today on eBay, a 600mm f6.5 F. Zuiko lens sold for $381 (the older single coated version). There are some bargains out there.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    hmmm I just had a leaf through some old Camera magazines from 1980. In the back there are private "classifieds", amongst which I found a OM Zuiko 85mm f/2 for sale for £120.

A quick scan of recent eBay "sold" items (worldwide) for that lens shows the most expensive at around £350, the least expensive about £100.

Using one of the online "inflation calculators", I found that a price of £120 in 1980 equates to the best part of £440 today.

The magazines also featured some nice pictures of flowers, and some of the pro photographers appeared to be over 40 ...
    Shutterbug?

Seems to me, that since fewer pros used the OM system, fewer bought the expensive fast lenses, and thus there are fewer lying around.
    Compare that to the truck loads of fast Nikon wides, etc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    If you buy any reasonably priced OM , the 24/2.8 is the one to have. Ironically, the 28/2.8 is the worst of the 3 OM 28s. The 28/2 is tops, then the 28/3.5, which is usually a bargain, and of course, tiny.
    Hmmm... I'm not sure what would qualify any of the three as "the worst". I've compared all three side by side and they all produce excellent results. The color rendering was slightly different but this is fairly common with differences in construction and coatings. The f3.5 is certainly the best deal, as folks tend to poo-poo "slow" lenses.

Shooter
    127 Format
    They are all great. Buy them all!

But seriously, I can not justify to myself spending more than $50 for obsolete technology. These things are old and fun to use because they are cheap but when the film hammer falls for good, I don't want to be stuck with thousands of dollars worth of paperweights.

Get the cheap ones and save the real money to buy something nice for your wife.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    They are all great. Buy them all!

But seriously, I can not justify to myself spending more than $50 for obsolete technology. These things are old and fun to use because they are cheap but when the film hammer falls for good, I don't want to be stuck with thousands of dollars worth of paperweights.

Get the cheap one's EveR and save the real money to buy something nice for your wife.
    Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin