Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 793

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM Zuiko lenses and ridiculous prices?

I've been trying to build up an OM system after having some pretty good success shooting a few events with an OM4.

However, I was browsing some of the lenses on Ebay (40mm F2, 24mm F2.8, etc.) and could not believe the asking prices. Perhaps it has to do with less supply than say Nikon or Canon lenses but .... wow. I'm just stunned.

Has the Olympus OM system really made a massive resurgence such that lenses that people couldn't get rid of before are now becoming crazy popular? Is it the mirrorless digital systems?

Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong sellers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smaller pool, canon Dslr video, mirror less cameras, good rep--- all add up to high prices. I don't think it's going to get any better price wise either. I feel your pain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think part of the issue is simply that OM lenses are easy to adapt for manual focus digital SLR uses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    I think part of the issue is simply that OM lenses are easy to adapt for manual focus digital SLR uses.
    No. Not part of the issue. That is most of the issue.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've started using an OM1 this year, and the f/2s certainly all seemed a hell of a price to me, so I abandoned all thoughts of the extra stop; but the f/2.8s seem good value. I picked up my nearly pristine 24/2.8 for a little bit over £100 (from a proper shop too), but they can be got for less, even on expenseBay.

hmm just noticed you're in BC, so perhaps this is one of the few occasions when gear is cheaper in the UK than N.America ...
    Last edited by pdeeh; 09-07-2013 at 12:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought 5 Zuikos a year or so ago, 24 f2.8, 2-50's, f1.8, 100, f2.8 and a 135, f2.8. I think some of the reasons they've become so popular, (expensive), is, yes, they do adapt well to DSLR's, (they work beautifully on my 40D as well as on my OM1's), they're small, light, almost all use the same 49mm filters, and they are optically excellent. What more can you ask for? Hence, the prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the more rare ones are a little pricey but otherwise I think many are reasonable. KEH has a few 28/2.8 for less than $100 and the awesome 100/2.8 for good prices too. Ignore the high priced BIN eBay auctions. They are usually no indication for what real bidding auctions are finishing at. With patience you can often find things going for less.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I fail to understand the point of posts like these. Nobody here is an industry expert nor do any of us track the prices of lenses on eBay. Just because a lens is going for more that you are willing to pay doesn't mean there is some shortage of lenses nor conspiracy to suck them all up for use with mirrorless cameras. You either pay the price or you do without. Seems pretty simple.

This has to be the 80th post I've read along the lines of "Wah! Whu can't I buy a 70-200mm f2.8 lens for under a hundred bucks? Wah!"

In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is a combination of things. Some of the OM glass is world class, even today. It is also easily adaptable to eos and other bodies. Most of them are the smallest lenses made for their length and speed. And some are rather rare. All this contributes to the high prices. But generally, they are worth it, which is why they are pricey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I fail to understand the point of posts like these. Nobody here is an industry expert nor do any of us track the prices of lenses on eBay. ....
    Well, some people do, see link below:

Lens Price Database version 25 update, Lens$db-v25, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

OP, in any case, the 40mm Zuiko is more of a collectors item then anything else so is pointless as an example of high Zuiko prices. Might as well complain about the price of a BMW whilst shopping for a Hyundai.

Many Zuikos have always been expensive, just look at the range of F2 lenses like the 90, 50 macro, any of the F2 wide angles. The 50/1.2 (and to a lesser degree the 55/1.2) has always been expensive, whilst the 50/1.4 has always been cheap, and the 50/1.8 much cheaper. The F2.8 and slower lenses have always been quite cheap. I bought an excellent 28/3.5 for $60 dollars recently, near mint too. Sure prices have been sliding up, that's understandable but no more than any other brand.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 09-07-2013 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin