Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,523   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a FE2 for many years. Worked very well, although the shutter wore out and had to be replaced.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    I used a FE2 for many years. Worked very well, although the shutter wore out and had to be replaced.

Trond
    Ah, fellow norwegian!
    I used the FE2 myself in daily production from around 1986 until a year after the F4 was released so im familiar with the shutter problem. Replaced two on mine until it ended up as a second camera backing up an F3P.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    KEH.com if you're in or near the US - the most reliable place to get used camera gear. I find eBay to be too much of a crapshoot to justify the small savings.
    Unfortunately im located outside the US and there are no alternatives to KEH in my neck of the wood, thanks for the tip anyway :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's this about shutters wearing out? I have had a FM2 since 1986, thousands of rolls through it without it even thinking about dying.

Different shutter?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Richard View Post
    Unfortunately im located outside the US and there are no alternatives to KEH in my neck of the wood, thanks for the tip anyway :-)
    Outside the US is quite a big place (although some Americans don't think so!).

If you let us know where you are, we might be able to offer a closer alternative.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    What's this about shutters wearing out? I have had a FM2 since 1986, thousands of rolls through it without it even thinking about dying.

Different shutter?

tim in san jose
    To be honest, i do not know if there are any mechanical differences between the shutters neither do i know if the failure was of a mechanical nature. Could have been the fact that the FE2 has an electronically controlled shutter and that the failure was located within the curcuits. I do not know if the FM2 suffered under the same trend. I do however remember this one time it looked like the shutterblades simply mangeled up in each other. I did use it as a working photojournalist an conditions are sometimes pretty harsh in the sense that you cant tuck it away when the rain falls and its always at your side beeing banged into things when you move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, im located in Norway. I have to say, having bought quite a bit of second hand Hasselblad over ebay the last year im happy with that route. So far i have not been let down or otherwise ended up disappointed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are bushings on the shutter curtains that wear out on the early titanium shutters (the ones that don't have the one curtain with only partial honeycomb patterns on it), so any early FM2 or very early FM2n, plus early FE2's and FA's that will develop this issue. Especially if the shutters are fired a lot at 1/500 or 1/4000. You wind up with it firing at 1/8000 or 1/1000. From what I've read, the problem doesn't affect the shutters with the replaceable curtains (the shutter that has the partial honeycomb on one curtain, as well as the aluminun shutter used on late FM2n bodies). Replacement shutters can be had for FE2's and FA's without cannibalizing another of the same. I've seen a few FE2's and a couple FA's that had N8008 shutters installed, which are what the late aluminum shutter on the FM2n is based on. And probably what the FM3a shutter is also based on, just with a different mechanism to control the shutter speeds.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the valuable insight on the mechanics John!
    Since i bought mine back in 1986 it may have been an early version i guess and it also got its fair share of sport photography meaning that shutterspeeds obviously were up there quite alot. Very interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a small update to my own post. I just ended up getting a black FM2 over ebay which seems to be treated nicely and have low milage. Time wil tell if it was a decent buy or not. This is actually a camera i always drooled over back in the day but never got around to get. Im excited :-)
    Now to go search for a decent 50mm..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin