Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,626   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon FE2 advice..

Hi.

Im in the market for a Nikon FE2 because it was my first 35mm camera and im currently in a "back track" project. Now, when i got my FE2 it was brand new off the shelf (1986) and for obvious reason there was nothing to worry about. As the rolls went by i had to change shutter twice and i believe i retired the camera when i upgraded to an F4. Now some times has went by...so, are there any specific things to look out for regarding buying second hand FE2s? Any special anomalies that are time dependent? I believe there are light traps for the back, can these be changed easily? Are there still new shutters avaliable and if so, are there any shops that will service these cameras?

Thanks in advance :-)

Tom Richard

(Forgive me if these topics have been covered, i did search but like any other huge forum search is a hitn miss afair)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of my favorite Nikon cameras. The only downsides are that they are all electronic cameras, and when they have problems electronically they tend to just stop metering and/or working. Repairing the shutters would surely cost much more than replacing the camera. All I can think of is to ck the battery compartment to make sure it's clean and shows no sign of past battery leakage, and to buy from someone that will accept a return if there are gremlins. If you're in the US, KEH is where I would buy one. I didn't fully ck out the last one I bought on fleabay, and after having it set around a few weeks I ran a roll through it, and first the meter died, then everything stopped working. Unfortunately, I had waited too long, and couldn't return it.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a wonderful camera. I've used one quite a bit the last year. As momus suggested, I'd go with KEH.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A friend of mine bought a brand new FE2 right when they came out. Boy was I jealous.

Just be aware like momus says, if the electronics fail it's not worth fixing. As old as they are I wouldn't want to spend a lot on one.

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be that if the electronics fail it cannot always be fixed. Nikon's supplies of spare parts dried up years ago (in UK) What they have resorted to here is canabilising other cameras to get them working again. FE2's are selling here for less than FM2's at the moment but There are a lot of FE2's that were bought as 'jewelery' and not used very much so you may still be able to pick up a decent one which has a long life ahead. A clean cosmetic outside is usually a good sign.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few months ago I was given an FE2 by someone on photo.Net. It had a bend in one of the shutter blades which I have managed to straighten up enough to use it (I actually think it was still usable/lightproof as it was).

It is a nice body and feels nice to use.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the tips! There are no outlets in my neighborhood so i have to take my chanses on ebay. I know these things are hard to say but what would be an ok price for a unit in very good condition? Not talking about making a steal but a fair price..

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know what a fair price is on the FE2 right now. If it was me, I would watch a few Ebay auctions end and learn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank Alan! I will do that :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH.com if you're in or near the US - the most reliable place to get used camera gear. I find eBay to be too much of a crapshoot to justify the small savings.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin