Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,324   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the mirror is seriously misaligned I would expect that the viewfinder image would show some vignetting at top or bottom, though I believe the viewfinder coverage is not 100%. If the camera is the F-1n (not New F-1, AKA F-1N) then the meter will not work with the screen upside down. I have looked at both cameras and it seems it might be possible to install the screen upside down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The focusing screen is in correctly and mirror is returning, so it must be an alignment issue. Time to send it back to KEH for a replacement. I really wonder how much QC testing KEH does. I've been using them for years and until recently have not had problems.

Thanks to all - I appreciate your guidance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the replacement camera arrived today and seems to be in good working condition. However, one of the screw-in bottom covers is missing. I have an email to KEH requesting they send me a cover, but I'll report back here if for nothing else but to show how KEH responds.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The angle of the mirror has to be out only a fraction of a millimeter for a camera to not focus correctly at infinity. And some cameras are easier than others in making this adjustment.

I had the same problem with a Yashica Contax 139 Quartz. On that camera, you have to remove the front body panel and turn a small screw to adjust the angle of the mirror.

On a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex I (and other cameras), you remove a cap on the base of the mirror box and turn a small post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The angle of the mirror has to be out only a fraction of a millimeter for a camera to not focus correctly at infinity.
    In case you missed it, I returned the defective camera for a replacement. It seems to work perfectly fine. It's just missing one of the bottom covers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you search on eBay, you can usually find sets of the three bottom caps at a not unreasonable price.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Nikon F2 body which will not allow correct infinity focusing. For now I'm not doing anything with it because I have other F2s. Eventually I might send it to Sover Wong. If he can't fix it, I don't know who could.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mike Elek is correct in telling you that only a small difference in mirror adjustment will wreck the focusing ability of a camera. If you know your focus screen is installed correctly (not upside down or cocked in the frame), then I'd look at the focus screen first.
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin