Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,768   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon F-1N: No infinity focus

I just received an EX grade Canon F-1N from KEH and it does not focus to infinity. I have reseated the focusing screen (PE, split-image/microprism) and the problem persists. For example, when my 24mm f/2 is set to infinity, it focuses at about 10 feet. With my 50mm f/1.4 the problem isn't as bad, but it, too, is not reaching infinity. Both lenses work fine on my A-1. Any ideas? I hate to return it but will if I need to. A bit frustrated with KEH recently - I had to send two copies of the 35-105 f/3.5 back because of different problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's downright bizarre. I'm not even sure I can figure out how that can happen?! Assuming the screen and prism are installed properly... Is the mirror not returning all the way down? (I still don't think that would cause this.) Any evidence that the lens mount has been messed with?

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    It has to either be the prism in the viewfinder not being seated properly, or possibly a major problem with the mounting bracket for the lens itself.

I don't see how the problem wouldn't be rather obvious, though. If it were a mount problem you'd be able to see some issue before putting the lense on, and the viewfinder only fits on one way if I recall.

It's rather strange.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure how your camera is set up, but I have a F-1, 2nd version, and it's possible to put the prism housing on wrong and not have it fully seated. I would make sure it's all the way down on the camera. If that isn't the problem, and you see nothing wrong w/ the mirror/lens mount, I would send it back. I buy from KEH a lot, and usually have good luck, but they aren't perfect. The good thing is that they will take a return. Aren't their cameras warrantied for 6 months? You could always send it back to them to be repaired.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you have the New F-1 (sometimes called the "F-1N" not to be confused with the second version, the "F-1n") then it sounds like you may have the focusing screen upside down. I didn't know that it was possible to install it upside down, and I'm not about to try it on mine, but the matte/grooved side should be down with the black edge under the tab at the front of the camera and the chrome edge on top toward the back of the camera.

If that's not it, it's something like a mirror alignment problem. Make sure there's nothing obviously preventing the mirror to return to the normal viewing position.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It has to be either (a) the focusing screen is defective or isn't properly installed, or (b) the mirror is out of adjustment. It can't be the fault of the viewfinder since it only re-orients the image from the focusing screen. With a basic (i.e., non-magnifying) waist level finder, you are essentially removing the prism viewfinder and focusing directly off the focusing screen. The waist level finder is nothing more than a hood to block stray light. Check to see if your mirror is all the way down and seated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f1mirroradjust.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	74444

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ever seen a broken body casting? It was held together by the top & bottom covers.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Ever seen a broken body casting? It was held together by the top & bottom covers.
    Seems pretty unlikely with an F-1!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f1mirroradjust.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	74444
    Try this - if it doesn't work then the spring on the inside of the mirror box is broken (it's happened to one of mine).

Sorry to say it's a MASSIVE job and not worth doing, but you can file the stop down to adjust infinity focus (again what had to be done to mine).

Its a job I wouldn't tackle, and I used to fix then when I was a camera tech at Canon in the 90's!
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin