Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,982   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrist Strap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    good quality synthetic cordage and a split ring is just as good. This is best kept as short as possible so you don't get it intruding in pictures.
    A wrist strap is necessary for instinctive point.
    There several DIY's about using paracord for straps. Wrist and shoulder. Instructables has several too
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Try wrapping your neck strap a couple times around your arm. I used a wrist strap more a while but adding a motor drive made it ackward, wrapping the neck strap around my arm worked just as well.
    ...or around your hand. done this daily for three decades. no wrist strap i tried ever matched the flexibility and convenience--it adjusts to any weather, kind of clothing, type of grip, drive, shooting position... tested on quality "silk" straps, like nikon's AN-4B, and the domke

think puttees vs. gaiters, same thing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like wrist straps for street photography. I also use a more discreet (ie, smaller and quieter) camera.

For all else, I use a neck strap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Be careful of any strap with those steel rings. I once wore halfway through one of the lugs on a Leica M4 using a neck strap with a ring that had squared off edges, if that makes sense.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksond View Post
    Be careful of any strap with those steel rings. I once wore halfway through one of the lugs on a Leica M4 using a neck strap with a ring that had squared off edges, if that makes sense.
    see post #10
    the chrome over brass is ok until the chrome wears through then the brass just disappears. any steel ring will do this 'magic' act as brass is very soft
    you can get 3rd party CRES lugs for Ms
    pro cameras have pressed in steel inserts e.g. Nikon F2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    At the risk of being scoffed at, there is some logic in using the bottom half of a case to which the neckstrap is attached. This way there is no wear on the lugs on the camera, and in some instances the fact that a case surrounds the camera makes it quieter -- seems to work that way for my Leica IIIa. And of course the (replaceable) case takes the wear that would otherwise be inflicted on the body.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    At the risk of being scoffed at, there is some logic in using the bottom half of a case to which the neckstrap is attached. This way there is no wear on the lugs on the camera, and in some instances the fact that a case surrounds the camera makes it quieter -- seems to work that way for my Leica IIIa. And of course the (replaceable) case takes the wear that would otherwise be inflicted on the body.
    Very good point, I use my M2 like that all the time and it gives you the option of having it round your neck or wound on your wrist.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the idea of the lug mount. I feel that the camera would be more secure being held onto by a 1/4-20 threaded screw. The issue is that all my cameras have lugs, but not all have tri-pod mounts like my Yashica Electro 35G.

For the time being, I have my camera attached to a basic wrist strap that P/S come with. Mind you this is only temporary! Just a test run to see how I like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin