Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,681   Posts: 1,548,512   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Strap

Shooter
    35mm

Wrist Strap

I have been thinking about getting a wrist strap to use when I don't feel like using a neck strap. This will be for my K1000; my two most common lenses I use areh a 50mm and a 28mm. The neck stap is http://www.adorama.com/TRN5051BR.htm...FUJlMgodL3UApw

I saw the add for Gordy's strap banner add, and I was wondering about the quality. I like the fact that it will not distract from the classic look, which is why I went for the Tamerac strap listed above, besides the slim profile. I haven't used a wrist strap before. Is there anything I should know? A silly question, yes, but curious.
    Last edited by zackesch; 09-18-2013 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is not a silly question, as details like this can make a difference. A wrist strap is a very good way to carry a camera. Quick to use and can be put behind your back out of view.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Gordy body strap but cannot comment in his wrist straps.

Luigi of Leicatime.com has gorgeous wrist straps. I'm not a wrist strap person and might be convinced to sell you my barely used one....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using a wrist strap you must be aware where your hand is at all times so as not to bang the camera on something. If your have ever injured your hand you know how many times a day you bang it on things.

I prefer neck straps. You can buy a rubber pad that fits on the strap to help spread the weight of the camera and help with the neck problem.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an UPstrap on my Nikon D300. I also have their wrist strap. I can quickly go back and forth between the neck and wrist strap using the quick release connections. I like the wrist strap for shooting sports where the neck strap tends to get in my way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have identical Gordy wrist straps on the three cameras I use the most. They take a little time to soften in use, but they are neatly and strongly made, and certainly worth the price.

Before you order, it might be worth knocking up a couple of dummies and attaching them to your camera(s) for a day each, just to see which length suits you best. If I were to buy another I might take the short version rather than the mediums I have.

I also have a fourth, which is the "string" attachment type, but I would not buy another of those; I have a fear (probably unfounded) that the string will snap ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    good quality synthetic cordage and a split ring is just as good. This is best kept as short as possible so you don't get it intruding in pictures.
    A wrist strap is necessary for instinctive point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try wrapping your neck strap a couple times around your arm. I used a wrist strap more a while but adding a motor drive made it ackward, wrapping the neck strap around my arm worked just as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Remember that if you intend to attach to the tripod socket, the manufacturer probably did not design the socket to withstand forces generated by the camera's weight being swung at the end of a pendulum. Using a strap on a strap lug may be safer, but again, if you're using one of two lugs then you're doubling the weight it may have been designed to support. I personally always prefer a neckstrap attached to both lugs. (Yes, some lightweight cameras may only use one lug, like a Rollei 35, but then again that's the way it was designed.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Remember that if you intend to attach to the tripod socket, the manufacturer probably did not design the socket to withstand forces generated by the camera's weight being swung at the end of a pendulum. Using a strap on a strap lug may be safer, but again, if you're using one of two lugs then you're doubling the weight it may have been designed to support. I personally always prefer a neckstrap attached to both lugs. (Yes, some lightweight cameras may only use one lug, like a Rollei 35, but then again that's the way it was designed.)
    All true but some cameras cannot tolerate neck straps Barnacks and early Leica M have chromed brass strap lugs when the chrome wears the brass disappears and the lugs can pull out as well!

I only use the strap as additional security when changing film never been able to juggle...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin