Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,307   Online: 825

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Bullshit [...] I want to spool as many rolls of film as I can so I can empty my bulk loader. Is that ok with you?
    Yes. Your 25 canisters are more than enough for a 100' roll. And if you're determined enough, you can load 100' into as few as 15.

If that's somehow a problem for you, tape to the leader or use a tool to pop factory canisters open. (There was even one put up for sale yesterday: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...oom-items.html)

Reused factory canisters aren't usually as good as reusable canisters, that's why reusable ones exist. The metal caps on factory canisters are prone to popping off again and you'll get light leaks all along that edge of your film, though the roll won't necessarily be entirely ruined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You use to be able to pop the cap on & off of Kodak cassettes but somewhere in time it changed to some form of crimping that makes it almost impossible to reuse.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    You use to be able to pop the cap on & off of Kodak cassettes but somewhere in time it changed to some form of crimping that makes it almost impossible to reuse.
    So they are crimped, not glued? That would obviate the attempt to reuse them..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So they are crimped, not glued? That would obviate the attempt to reuse them..
    They were metal and my guess is they either changed the style of the crimp and or the quality of the metal.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a LOT of bulk film and I have been using the same, twenty-five, plastic reloadable cassettes for quite awhile now. I am now up to eight reloads on this batch and they show no signs of slowing down. Previously I used metal reloadable cassettes but the end caps would not reliably stay in place after 4 or 5 reloads.

Likewise I use the Leica Filca and the Contax reusable metal cassettes and they are indispensable, and just about indestructible. Of course they will only work if you are using cameras that they will fit.

I rarely re-use cassettes from store bought film but that is only because I can never remember to leave the tail out of the cassette when I re-wind them. When I have had occasion to use them they worked just fine.

One more thing. I have read a number of references to film scratches that come from dirty cassette felt, and I am sure it is possible. I have been reloading for quite awhile now and to be honest, I have scratched more film because I forgot to turn the reloader lid from the light-proof position to the load position then I ever have had from cassettes with dirty felt. Just my 2 cents worth.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well the

Nikon SP F and F2 can use concentric cassettes some interchangibility issues though
    Leica LTM can use FILCA or IMXOO concentric
    Leica M3 to late M6 (except M5 & CL) IXMOO later M6 will need old base latch 'retrofitted'
    Contax II and Kiev can interchange concentric, maybe IIa as well, not tried last
    Some of the FSU bottom loaders concentric, I do have some but not tried
    Canon LTM '?' to P model concentric some inter...
    Yashica/Niccas maybe but finding any might be a challenge not tried

ShirleyWellard are sort of compatible with many 35mm google

IXMOO are 5-10 GBP others should be similar, if you use bulk or cine the dedicated concentrics are a lot more convenient than felt or Shirleys

I only load up cassettes for a days shooting typically 7-9 x36 exps

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    That happened in late 1964/early 1965 and I remember that very well. I had been developing 35mm film for years (although not for the last year at that time) and I went in to the base hobby shop darkroom to develop a couple of rolls. After struggling in the dark for about 5 minutes I had to go out and felt foolish in asking the clerk how to open the cassettes; he handed me a bottle opener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    That happened in late 1964/early 1965 and I remember that very well. I had been developing 35mm film for years (although not for the last year at that time) and I went in to the base hobby shop darkroom to develop a couple of rolls. After struggling in the dark for about 5 minutes I had to go out and felt foolish in asking the clerk how to open the cassettes; he handed me a bottle opener.
    In the 1970s, the Ilford cassettes had caps that made them easy to re-use. I don't know when that changed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    If you cut the end of the film across when you remove it from the cassette for processing, leaving an inch or so of the old trailer protruding from the mouth of the cassette, you can then, when reloading, fix the end of the new film with a bit of tape and wind it into the cassette, without needing to remove the cap. Obviously watch out for anything to cause dust or scratches, as with any reloading.
    I second railwayman3's method. Taping is the way how I do bulk loading. Very simple procedure and not involved at all. (I got my cassettes from a CVS store. They just gave me a plastic bag full of empty ones, about 50-60 inside. Free.)

You also don't need any special tool to get the film leader out of the cassette. Just buy a double-sided tape and cut a segment of negative that you don't need, like the leader after processing. Put a patch of the double-sided tape on one end of the negative. Stick that end into the cassette to pull out the film.
    See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc00ULY7cYU

Shooter
    35mm
    Bullshit. Just because I have already bought cassettes doesn't mean I can't lessen the future impact. I want to spool as many rolls of film as I can so I can empty my bulk loader. Is that ok with you?
    As has been pointed out by others, your 25 cassettes (that were made to be re-used) are enough to use up the film in your bulk loader. If you're that concerned with waste and want to use those factory-crimped cassettes as well buy 400 foot cores and you'll save even more on the film but you'll have to supply a truly dark space to load. You don't even need a loader if you keep the core flat on a table. But don't listen to me.

Cheers,
    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin