Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,979   Online: 864

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    50 f/1.8 is no bad lens, except the construction.

New 40mm pancake is indeed a good performer and cheaper when compared with 50 f/1.4
    My Shorty mcForty spends most of its time glued to my EOS 3, eye-control and small for discrete street shooting, it's great. Here's some Tri-X 400 I shot on it recently:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33s.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	74669
    (just a quick'n'dirty triage scan in the film holder, haven't wet-scanned or processed or printed yet, it probably won't need much work by the looks)

As for the Tak, mine works fine. Specifically, my Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 3527xxx works fine, to infinity and all. Focusses to infinity, mirror doesn't hit the lens on the return. There's multiple versions of this lens so maybe others have problems.
    The adapter and chip that I've got are the good ones, from ml-gvalt on fleabay, specifically this one. I paid $25 in 2011 but the price seems to have gone up since. But they're the best.
    (also, I do have other lenses that hit the mirror, but only on the return path, the mirror must be travelling fast enough on the upswing to inertia-past the elements. Good news is, the photo still gets taken, just focus closer to release the mirror and turn off/on each time. Annoying but works.)

Another thing is that the EOS 3 has a little quirk. I'm not sure on what bodies exactly, my 3 has it but my 7D doesn't, I don't have any others.
    When you look at the body-mount, in the top-left corner there is a little switch, activated by turning the lens as you mount. From my own research (which may be wrong, I'd love to hear from others):
    - If your adapter activates this switch, you must have an AF chip, or you get a 'BC' error when you take a photo. (you can test this with a toothpick pushing the switch and no lens)
    - If you have an AF chip, your adapter must activate this switch, or you get a 'BC' error.
    - If you don't activate the switch, and don't have a chip, then you're fine.
    That's my experience anyway.

Also, someone mentioned focussing screens. I've got an EC-Civ (stock screen from the 1Dmk4), it's brighter and focusses a lot better than the stock screen that came with the 3.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-23-2013 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EOS 3 that I use for M-42 lenses takes a bit of sanding/grinding in the one area of the switch on the adapter but once you get everything set up it is a pleasure to use. I have a few M-42s in my small collection which I would rather use than some of the EF lenses. Here is my favorite adapter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-001.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	74679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-004.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	74680

There is a small tab that prevents the adapter from coming off unless you press the button on the camera. I experimented with a few of the cheap ones that did not work as well. It also has the lens stop so you can not over tighten it to do mirror damage. The one post with the adapter looks the same. Of course I don't have the chip but I use it manually with no problems. By the way the grinding/sanding is ONLY on the adapter NOT the camera in case I worded my explanation wrong. The M-42 is always a very good build with metal instead of plastic EF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    50 f/1.8 is no bad lens, except the construction.

New 40mm pancake is indeed a good performer and cheaper when compared with 50 f/1.4
    I tried out a rental 40mm f/2.8 two weeks ago.

It is fun to use, it seems to be sharp, but it has a bit of a caveat.

Purportedly it suffers from a bit of distortion. The digital users just correct for that using the computer, but us film shooters ....

In my brief trial, I didn't really shoot anything that would test for the distortion.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'm leaning toward the 50 1.8. I know it's good enough for anything I can accomplish.

Thank you very much for your input everybody!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Purportedly it suffers from a bit of distortion. The digital users just correct for that using the computer, but us film shooters ....

In my brief trial, I didn't really shoot anything that would test for the distortion.
    Doesn't look too bad to me, even less distortion than the Nifty Fifty...
    (sorry, it's a digital review site link, but if you take a photo of a chequerboard on film it'll still look the same)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon pancake lens produces only a slight amount of barrel distortion (0.6%) which is basically negligible. - photozone.de
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May I ask which EOS line of camera is compact of all?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The most compact EOS film camera is one of the Rebel series. Most of them, however, have pentamirrors rather than pentaprisms, and thus have darker viewfinders.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Rebel 2000/EOS 300 has a "pentaprism with roof mirror" (from the manual) with 90% coverage, is very compact, quite light, very functional and is ridiculously cheap.

Even with the accessory AA battery pack it is quite light and small.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is now a 50mm 1.8 lens sitting on my desk, waiting to get used once the camera gets here.

Again, thank you all for your help in ironing out the details. I am somewhat tempted to upgrade to a 50mm 1.4 in the future. My somewhat failing eyes would appreciate the extra brightness I think.
    Then the 85mm and 35mm will probably be added later down the road, if I decide I really like this camera.
    I was originally going to get the higher end Pentax SLR, the MZ-S I belive it's called, so that I could use all of my Pentax lenses. Maybe that's where I end up eventually anyway; who knows?!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin