Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,048   Posts: 1,561,009   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon EOS3 - lens compatibility

So,

I bought an EOS3 in almost new condition. In the near future I plan on buying the 50mm f/1.8 EF lens, which I have used in the past with an Elan 7e to great effect and with results that outperform my own abilities as a photographer. It's more than good enough.

But, I read somewhere that it's possible to use M42 screwmount lenses, like a Pentax M42 50mm f/1.4 lens via an adapter. What do I need to make this work?

Thanks for your help. I'm used to Pentax where everything is compatible with everything. The Canon world is a little confusing to me.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like the EOS3 is a little special.

Possible explanation/workaround here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=291530
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You need a 3rd party lensmount adapter. There are lots of these on eBay, but they are of varying quality. Go searching for reviews on m42-Canon EOS adapters to find which ones are best - some will not give you infinity focus because they're too thick, others may be likely to get stuck on your camera (I had that happen, frighteningly, on my Canon 5D with a Contax MM/Canon EOS adapter, and it bent part of the focusing screen retaining clip by the time I got it off). This is one thing NOT to cut corners on because solving the problem(s) a cheap one can cause may be far more costly than the better grade adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try to adapt OM Zuikos with an adapter for EOS 650(One that I really like).

It works, but focusing was a problem for me since I do not have any focusing screens apart from one which came with the camera.

For me the infinity is two or three degress turn before lens infinity :-(

---

With EF lenses, negs come out really really well.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The body/mount/mirror situation on the EOS 3 is exactly like the 5Dii, so you can find a lot of info on the net about which lenses work. I picked up a $12 adapter from B&H. Works fine, but no auto-focus confirm. It is worth buying it to see if you really want to mess with this proposition and buy an expensive adapter. The screen is not designed for manual focus, so it can be a little difficult to focus depending on your eyes. The Takumar 50mm 1.4 will not work. I suggest the 55mm 1.8, which is an awesome lens. Given it costs like $25 it is a no brainer. I have both and think the 55mm is better. 28mm f3.5 is another great cheap lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting that takumar 50 1.4 does not work. I use one on my 5D and it does. CameraQuest sells high quality adapters, well worth it if you are doing this a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Interesting that takumar 50 1.4 does not work.
    It can't screw in all the way. Can you get infinity focus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, all.

It sounds too complicated. I think I'll just go with the Canon lenses, or those that fit it without adapter.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    It can't screw in all the way. Can you get infinity focus?
    Yes I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For some reason, all those adapters are not the same. Some are happy and others are not(including me).
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin