Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,964   Online: 763

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The OP had it about the "look". As both, chromium and aluminium, surfaces show up in a variation of gloss, I guess the differentiation does not even matter in this thread.
    The OP said he liked the look of "chrome on chrome" and used an M3 (IIRC) as an example. Chrome doesn't look anything like aluminum and neither look anything like nickel. For that matter, satin chrome (Camera body/lens) doesn't look at all like glossy chrome (Car bumper) So it is indeed all about the look... of various different finishes.

But it's 2013, and all the magpies call anything shiny and silvery "chrome", it seems.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Highly polished surfaces of chromium and blank aluminiun can be distinguished. But when the brass surface is matted before chroming and you got a fairly etched aluminum surface before anodizing, it is getting more difficult to distinguish.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The OP said he liked the look of "chrome on chrome" and used an M3 (IIRC) as an example. Chrome doesn't look anything like aluminum and neither look anything like nickel. For that matter, satin chrome (Camera body/lens) doesn't look at all like glossy chrome (Car bumper) So it is indeed all about the look... of various different finishes.

But it's 2013, and all the magpies call anything shiny and silvery "chrome", it seems.
    Well if we're going to be engaging in pointless pedantry, I may as well point out that chrome does actually look like aluminum in some ways. As well it looks like nickel in some ways too. To say it doesn't look anything like it is plainly false.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Well if we're going to be engaging in pointless pedantry, I may as well point out that chrome does actually look like aluminum in some ways. As well it looks like nickel in some ways too. To say it doesn't look anything like it is plainly false.
    Yes, they're silvery and shiny, as I pointed out. They're all in the spectrum of shiny silvery things. Green and red are in the spectrum of colors, do they look anything alike? Besides being colors, that is?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes, they're silvery and shiny, as I pointed out. They're all in the spectrum of shiny silvery things. Green and red are in the spectrum of colors, do they look anything alike? Besides being colors, that is?
    The only inherent quality of green is that it is green, so it's a different matter than two different materials which share similar visual characteristics. All still beside the point of the thread though. I'm sure most of us understood what the OP meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Highly polished surfaces of chromium and blank aluminiun can be distinguished. But when the brass surface is matted before chroming and you got a fairly etched aluminum surface before anodizing, it is getting more difficult to distinguish.
    This is true.
    Though I have polished some types of aluminum to a high degree, and had average people think it was in fact, chrome plated. Sometimes it would have fooled me unless I really looked at it, if I had not been the one who polished it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have a top on how to best shine up an old lens like this (regardless of chrome, aluminum, nickel, etc.)? I have a few old FSU ones that I'd like to look less dull and I'm loath to try anything stronger than glass cleaner on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    This is true.
    Though I have polished some types of aluminum to a high degree, and had average people think it was in fact, chrome plated. Sometimes it would have fooled me unless I really looked at it, if I had not been the one who polished it.
    That's my point. Thank you!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Does anyone have a top on how to best shine up an old lens like this (regardless of chrome, aluminum, nickel, etc.)? I have a few old FSU ones that I'd like to look less dull and I'm loath to try anything stronger than glass cleaner on them.
    I have polished up an Industar 61 and a Jupiter-8 with good results with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. I use it on a bunch of different things (only works on bare metal though, not anodized/plated surfaces).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    The only inherent quality of green is that it is green, so it's a different matter than two different materials which share similar visual characteristics. All still beside the point of the thread though. I'm sure most of us understood what the OP meant.
    Nope, you're wrong once again Yash...
    "Green" is not an inherent quality. The wavelength of the radiation (which we perceive as "green") is an inherent quality.

I understood what the OP meant. I was making a point to the others failing to distinguish between various substances and finishes.

Remember this thread? http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...ml#post1395734 You had to be right there, too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin