Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,544   Online: 947

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

why aren't there chrome slr lenses

Well atleast before they turned plastic...

I personally like the look of chrome on chrome for Leica LTM/M cameras but then most (maybe all?) SLR lenses turned black. Maybe because at that point, black cameras dominated the pro market (F3 and onward I believe was mostly black for Nikon outside some exclusive models)?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Early lenses from the 1950s and into the 1960s used satin chrome barrels. I think that at some point in the early 1960s, makers began to shift to mostly black-barreled lenses.

In 2005, Carl Zeiss AG unveiled its Zeiss Ikon rangefinder system and offered lenses in both satin chrome and black.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think some older SLR lenses were chrome. Someone who remembers exactly which will be along presently. They were probably more costly to burnish and polish than black metal lenses, and may have required higher quality steel. There were late period plastic AF SLR lenses in silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by AgX; 09-26-2013 at 03:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 50mm lens on my 35mm Edixa reflex (1954-1959) is silver, not black.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edixa_3.gif 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	74754

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Along with post #3 strictly cost involved nothing to do with professional use. Most of the 35mm market was aimed at amateurs and without that base, none of the companies could afford to produce a camera to the limited "pro" market.

There were a couple of silver AF lenses around later but were entry level kit lenses.
    Of course Canon has their white lenses.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, mainly a cost consideration, I think. And esthetically, I think black lenses go better with a chrome body than vice versa, so the lens makers went with black pretty much exclusively.

I also expect that chrome plating weighs more than black anodizing or black paint, so for larger telephoto and zoom lenses it could become a significant weight disadvantage to chrome plate them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Retina Reflex lenses were/are chrome: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_Retina_Reflex
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pentax do some lovely looking chrome lenses, Zeiss too I think.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin