Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,359   Online: 823

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Magic Eight Ball says "future uncertain check again later".
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless you are in the business of buying and selling, it only really matters if the item you want and need is just slightly more expensive than you feel you can afford to pay.

If you are considering selling something, do so only if you are comfortable with the idea that you will never own it again.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Glass up, metal (and plastic) down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't think of a worst financial invesrment of my money than film equipment,it's value is in what it does for a photographer,not it's commercial worth.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anything Leica or Zeiss will continue to hold prices, or even rise. Just don't get any ideas of thinking camera gear is an "investment". It is a lousy one, and prices go up and down for absolutely no discernible reason, except for this hard and fast rule...... if you're buying, expect to pay top dollar because prices will have suddenly shot upwards, and if you're selling, expect to get considerably less than you paid because prices will have suddenly fallen. THAT truism you can take to the bank (another lousy place for an investment, unless you're a banker).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As an "investment," camera gear is highly unlikely to anything more than keep up with inflation. In bad times, demand really drops off too. You're much better off buying stock in companies like Union Pacific Railroad etc.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think generally things have stayed pretty static in the last 3-4 years which is when I left d******l and came back to analogue - all started by a chance purchase of a Kiev 4 in good working order for a £5. I suddenl;y realised there was a world out there of stuff I could play with that wouldn't cost too much. It's harder to find the £5 items now - e.g. Zuiko 1.8 50mm. Usually make £20 wheras they were recently a £5, but other cheap Zuiko lenses - 135mm 35-70 F4 70-150F4 etc are still dirt cheap. The more sought after I think are up a smidgen. I think OM cameras are generally the same, except fully serviced known-good which seem to be making a little more than they did - this is all subjective, but I have been keeping my eye on them. However bargains are still out there.

I wouldn't worry about it - cameras are never going to be an investment. I am sure film will still be made by someone somewhere for the forseeable. Let's just enjoy what we have and take pictures!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    As an "investment," camera gear is highly unlikely to anything more than keep up with inflation. In bad times, demand really drops off too. You're much better off buying stock in companies like Union Pacific Railroad etc.

Kent in SD
    It depends where and what you're buying or selling. I've just bought a job lot of mixed photo junk and it's worth a lot more than I spent. Most items need cleaning up or repairing. I took a risk because two items couldn't be seen clearly but.

I had my Rolleiflex 3.5E valued by Rollei 15 years ago at £750, that value dropped but I was told by a camera seller at an antiques market he'd pay £500 and sell it for £750, he knew I wasn't looking to sell it though. The camera cost me very little and I no longer use it much because it is partly an investment they won't drop in value again.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting back into analogue several years ago, of course, I had to go buy some equipment. Mostly Olympus OM's and lenses, a Canon AE-I with a 50mm f1.4, and a few other odds and sods. Literally without exception, everything is worth more than I paid for it, probably because in the last couple of years, it has become obvious that film isn't going away, and some new ones are even being introduced. Maybe people were holding off, not wanting to invest in a camera that there wouldn't be anything to load it with.
    Don't know, and don't much care. But, it's a good sign.
    Take pictures, be happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the fad du jour, and what the fanbois are persuing that week. Right now stuff that was 10 to 20 dollars a few years ago is going for 70 to 100, because it's popular with the bokeh nuts and the 4/3 crew (I'm thinking of some of the FSU lenses).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin