Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,980   Online: 1113

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    When digital still cameras first seriously arrived in the latter 90s there was a brief, half page article in one of the photo magazines showing what looked to be a film cassette with a few inches of film protruding. It was, in fact, a 'cassette' that was actually a digital capture medium, honed and sculpted to fit traditional 35mm cameras.

Then there was nothing else ever said. It was as if the digital manufacturers silenced this threat on the market for new digital cameras because the old film cameras (and their accompanying lenses) would have provided photographers with the ability to do quality digital photography without the consumer having to buy new equipment. - David Lyga
    Because it was a hoax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Because it was a hoax.
    There was a prodct shown at Photokina a few years ago and it nearly reached the market. I think what killed it off was the main DSLR manufacturers could develop and adapt faster and they were just way behind in terms of megapixel size/resolution.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There was a prodct shown at Photokina a few years ago and it nearly reached the market. I think what killed it off was the main DSLR manufacturers could develop and adapt faster and they were just way behind in terms of megapixel size/resolution.

Ian
    Do you mean this? http://re35.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Do you mean this? http://re35.net/
    No, I'm thinking of something in the late 1990's. If they'd managed to get a product on the market it would have stood a reasonable chance of success.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take one film SLR and.............well this was the start of the rot for Kodak, because it was for them a dead end when the big camera companies did their own thing. Of course, it could now be miniaturised, but why bother?

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dak/index1.htm

I only recently discovered these - see my other thread in the lounge.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    ...........well this was the start of the rot for Kodak, because it was for them a dead end when the big camera companies did their own thing.
    Kodak were in intensive care when UK chemist shops changed from only yellow boxes to yellow and green boxes.

Trying to crush a minnow like Polaroid decades later ignoring patents cardiac arrest machine needed.

Fugi was their enemy Fugi are able to make Dcameras that sell and are closing down film varieties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fugi ?, you mean Fuji.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

the future

Analog users are pretty much a cult now: forums like this and rangefinder forum.com are the places we come for our rituals: we have our saints like Ansel our priests, prophets, wise men and fools (the concept of the holy fool is wideslread in many cultures) We used to be considered experts because we knew the arcane mysteries of the shutter speed and the kabbalah of the f-stop and the wisdom of the ASA selection. Kodachrome was our communion wafer. We store our relics in the hope of the second coming of film. The rest of the world has moved on. There is a clearing out of that which the nonbelievers consider to be junk: we should not expect to make money on it, because it is the end of the world as we know it.

"The End is Nigh"
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    It's hard to know what the bottom will look like. Many old film cameras are already there. The more interesting lenses are being used on DSLR and MILCs and this has kept their value up. I still collect and use mostly film equipment but I am the exception. I have an excellent film processor in my town and a very good repairman a short drive away. I also have Unique Photo nearby for buying film, paper, chemistry. If I did not have these local resources it would be a chore using the equipment rather than a pleasure. Recently I bought a Bronica GS-1 with an AE prism finder, a 120 back and a Speed Grip all in excellent condition for $116. How much lower can you get? The real question is, if someone just gave you the stuff would you be interested in using it? If the answer is yes then the prices are bargains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    Analog users are pretty much a cult now: forums like this and rangefinder forum.com are the places we come for our rituals: we have our saints like Ansel our priests, prophets, wise men and fools (the concept of the holy fool is wideslread in many cultures) We used to be considered experts because we knew the arcane mysteries of the shutter speed and the kabbalah of the f-stop and the wisdom of the ASA selection. Kodachrome was our communion wafer. We store our relics in the hope of the second coming of film. The rest of the world has moved on. There is a clearing out of that which the nonbelievers consider to be junk: we should not expect to make money on it, because it is the end of the world as we know it.

"The End is Nigh"
    David
    Wow, David. Good job. I wish I could write like this. Did you get an "A" in Creative Writing 101? Guys like you are why I switched to Computer Science. You belong in POEM, The Professional Order of English Majors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin