Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,194   Online: 709

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Actualy I was a biomedical chemistry major... now working as a humble physician in the salt mines of medicine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One must also factor in the value of the dollar. Inflation can fool a person when comparing wages, purchasing power, etc.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's patchy, some Bronica And Mamiya cameras and lenses are still very cheap,
    I just cannot believe how cheap Bronica ETRSi lenses are in comparison to the Pentax 35mm lenses I also use. I picked up 50mm and 150mm PE lenses in excellent condition for about GBP 70 each. They include shutters and I hear the glass comes from Schneider. This is roughly half the going rate for an expensive or rarer Pentax lens, such as the 85mm f2 M series.

The one thing about cameras from the 80s is that their numbers are dwindling. I have personally destroyed accidentally (with the help of a toddler) a couple of ME Supers. However, the Pentax lenses are nearly indestructible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I can't think of a worst financial invesrment of my money than film equipment,it's value is in what it does for a photographer,not it's commercial worth.
    well, anything digital would be a worse investment, by far. monetarily-speaking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    well, anything digital would be a worse investment, by far. monetarily-speaking.
    Who buys cameras as an 'investment' (Other than Leica owners )

A camera is a tool to be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Who buys cameras as an 'investment' (Other than Leica owners )

A camera is a tool to be used.
    I agree entirely.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who mentioned digital ?, the question was about film cameras, I.M.O. no cameras are good financial investments these days, what professional financial adviser in his right mind would advise his client to put his assets in cameras ?
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-16-2013 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like anything, there are items that turn out to be good investments, in any hobby. the key is to buy low, sell high. Easier said than done. but I bet there are plenty of camera/lens items that have easily beat the stock market or other fungible investments. Indeed though, using them for their intended purpose is the best use, rather than speculation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like anything, there are items that turn out to be good investments, in any hobby. the key is to buy low, sell high. Easier said than done. but I bet there are plenty of camera/lens items that have easily beat the stock market or other fungible investments. Indeed though, using them for their intended purpose is the best use, rather than speculation.
    "Buying low and selling high" is rather stating the obvious because it's the principal that all Western capitalism is based on, however there are I agree a few items that may be perceived to have appreciated in value but very few when you consider inflation and the difference in the actual value of money over the years, although I do agree entirely with your last sentence.
    Ben

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin