Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 906

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Wanted: Prescience for the future values of camera and lenses

Who, of those who have been following this genre for (decades perhaps?) can offer a vision as the the resale values of 35mm SLRs and lenses in the years and decades to come.

This is a tough question but: Have we hit bottom? I am talking about pedestrian models like the Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Konica (etc) mechanicals or electronic, pre-AF; the stuff from 1960 to about 1985.

Like the LP (vinyl), this stuff never truly dies because it is so very flexible and understandable. Offer opinions. Brainstorm. - David Lyga

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loaned my Chrystal ball out, only comment is that LP are still being made in small numbers as are turntables, with 35mm, only a few are still being made, if 35m film ceases production then all a 35mm camera is is a paper weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People collect all sorts of things that cannot be used, so the lack of availability of film will not necessarily be fatal to the price of cameras. Some cameras are nice things in their own right - exemplars of excellence in both design and manufacturing. I would like to have my Voigtlanders and Exaktas even if I could not use them.

Of course, supply is going to dwindle over decades. I can see my cameras going straight into the rubbish bin when I pop my clogs. So, I suspect we are at or close to bottom with prices, at least for the better designed cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Prices/values are on the rise after a period of free fall. I bought an M3 Leica back in the mid 1980's at first it's value drpped because of digital but it's now worth more than I paid.

Way back in the 1990's an article in the BJP predict that the value of film cameras would drop drastically and few new film cameras would be made because there would be a surplus of second hand cmaers etc in excellent condition.

However we are now probably at or past the tipping point and the most desirable film cameras are increasing in value. So my M3 is now worth more than when I bought it.

Not all cameras and models have risen but they will.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bottom? Hardly.
    Lenses seem only on the up lately, but depends what you go for, the best are rising.
    Takumars and FD lenses were getting junked for almost nothing 5-10 years ago. Now good luck getting anything (except maybe a 50-55/1.8) under $100. I've seen FD 85mm f/1.2L lenses go for $800, and version 1 EF 85/1.2L for the same.
    Leica M seem to follow what some of Canon's white L lenses do. The new models come out for double the price of the old models, then the second-hand old models go up in price to halfway between new-old price.
    Mirrorless/MILC/EVIL/deck-of-cards-on-a-beercan cameras are certainly not helping, especially with the digital video crowd. Even absolute-junk C-mount lenses that nobody wanted anymore a few years ago have found homes on Pentax Q and Nikon 1, for those going for that 'retro' look (whatever that is).

Medium and Large format are hell cheap comparatively. Like brand-new Mamiya 645AF lenses are $2k+, the same lens you can get on fleabay for $4-500. cf Canon L lenses, I've seen them second-hand for more than B+H prices. And large formats might still be worth a bit (up to a grand or more for the newest apo/xl versions, but still fractions of what they would have cost new.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post

Medium and Large format are hell cheap comparatively. Like brand-new Mamiya 645AF lenses are $2k+, the same lens you can get on fleabay for $4-500. cf Canon L lenses, I've seen them second-hand for more than B+H prices. And large formats might still be worth a bit (up to a grand or more for the newest apo/xl versions, but still fractions of what they would have cost new.
    It's patchy, some Bronica And Mamiya cameras and lenses are still very cheap, however TLR's particularly Rollei's have surpassed their values before the big dip.

I think that there's a cult status more important to previously digital only photographers turning to film wanting to use more iconic cameras.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By personal observation only, I think prices bottomed out around mid-2009 when so many people, desperate for money, were emptying their closets and nobody was buying. They stayed down for about 18-24 months and started rising in late 2011 or early 2012. I did a lot of buying in that time and now have pretty much all the camera and darkroom gear I need and so haven't been watching.

With apologies to Will Rogers - Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good camera and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    By personal observation only, I think prices bottomed out around mid-2009 when so many people, desperate for money, were emptying their closets and nobody was buying. They stayed down for about 18-24 months and started rising in late 2011 or early 2012. I did a lot of buying in that time and now have pretty much all the camera and darkroom gear I need and so haven't been watching.

With apologies to Will Rogers - Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good camera and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
    Interesting ethos

I'm off on a major buying spree in a few days. However I'll only be buying cameras that I can repair. or restore.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really can't say for sure, though I got a couple cheap k-mount lenses around 2000 for a lot less than they go for today - digital exodus.

My purchasing has only been on ebay, and mostly for cameras with parts that will interchange with my Sears KS-2 (I don't consider parts cameras G.A.S.). However, it seems I cannot find them as cheap as a year or two ago, even accounting for increased shipping costs. These variants still don't command high prices, but they are costing more lately.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't care because I don't intend to sell any of my equipment, or buy any more because I have everything I need, and just want to stay in good health to.use it.
    Ben

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin