Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,437   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Comparison

Shooter
    35mm RF

Lens Comparison

Here is a fun lens comparison that I did. All images were shot on Tri-x 400 at 800 and developed in Edwal FG-7 1:15 and 20C for 12 minutes. The three lenses shown here are a Canon 50mm f1.8 FD, a 50mm f1.5 Nokton LTM ASPH, and a 50mm f1.9 Promaster lens. Which lens shot which image?? Roll over the image with your mouse to see the file name and the lens name. The conditions are similar, overcast light or shade, but the most interesting aspect is really to look at how each lens renders a scene at a wide aperture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Promaster 50mm f1.9.jpg   50mm Nokton f1.5 LTM ASPH.jpg   Canon 50mm f1.8 FD EDITED FOR WEB.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    The Canon is my favourite. Maybe the single coated optic lends it a pleasing softness?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only the breech-lock version was single coated (maybe even only at the beginning). All lenses with the new bayonet (or the omission of the S.C./S.S.C. designation) were multicoated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I preferred the look of the Nokton. But they all did a nice job wide open.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Only the breech-lock version was single coated (maybe even only at the beginning). All lenses with the new bayonet (or the omission of the S.C./S.S.C. designation) were multicoated.
    I was under the impression that the Canon 50mm 1.8 was the only single coated optic in the FDn range until the end of the designation.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the contempory literature made in cooperation with Canon it was stated (if my memory does not fail) that with the ommission of those coating designations all coatings werer multi-layered.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Canon is my favorite too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In the contempory literature made in cooperation with Canon it was stated (if my memory does not fail) that with the ommission of those coating designations all coatings werer multi-layered.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/8...-v-f1-8-a.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nokton sure comes out looking contrasty, even a little harsh.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The Nokton sure comes out looking contrasty, even a little harsh.

-NT
    I did my best to try and shoot them all in similar conditions but the Nokton was shot in a shadow on a sunny day, so the contrast of the background is a little over-emphasized. I was mostly looking at the rendering of the background, but the Nokton seems to not smear details as much as the promaster or the Canon wide open. The canon was very impressive with its out of focus renderings, SO smooth. The promaster was still impressive none the less for a little plastic SLR lens.

Im assuming based on what I know about the Canon and the Nokton, that the Promaster is a double gauss design as well, so its just interesting to see how the small alterations of that design can create very individual characteristics of different lenses and very similar ones. Look at the optical vignetting (cats eye effect) on the promaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin