Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,118   Online: 845

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    a news photographer in Iraq was killed by an Apache helicopter pilot because his long lensed DSLR looked, via targeting camera, like a bazooka or RPG.

"Shoulda used a Leica M3" was my first thought.
    Got a source for that item?

I usually get some looks when I wander around with the F5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had the opposite reaction it seems with TLR's. I've never had a second glance using my Mamiya C330, and nobody has ever asked me about it. Maybe it's just this city, the weirder something is the harder people try to ignore you. With the plastic SLR though I felt I was in the gear game again. Like other SLR/DSLR shooters were checking it out to either scoff at or envy the gear, depending on which lens I had attached.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    I noticed something unusual today. Someone gave me a very nice Nikon n90s + lenses for free so I took it out for a try around town. Now I usually shoot 6x6 folders or small 35mm rangefinders so most people don't even notice my camera. I'm usually as invisible as someone taking pictures with their cellphone. But once I started shooting the big Nikon I noticed that I was getting a lot of looks from other people taking pictures. It was making me uncomfortable with so many people checking out my camera, some people were even watching to see what I was taking pictures of with such a camera. I didn't know if they were judging me or just curious. It does look a lot like a modern DSLR and has a somewhat "professional" look to it I guess, I don't know if that had something to do with it. Never have I experienced this with my usual smaller, older cameras. Does anyone else get this with SLR's?
    Very rarely, but then I use 60s Nikons with primes, no zooms. Now if you want attention, get out there with a mahogany 8x10 on a big tripod.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Got a source for that item?
    This is probably the incident referred to: Reuters.com.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A Leica M or Canon P looks just like a Fuji x100 so nobody pays much attention.

Now an RB67 gets comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting with SLR's for more than forty years, and they haven't "put me on the map" yet.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience trying to photograph trains, big SLRs and lenses are almost guaranteed to bring out the LEOs - law enforcement officers...Barney Fife types, only less intelligent. Nobody cares if I have a Rollie or small rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only notice odd looks when out with my view camera. I pulled my head out from under the focusing cloth only to see traffic backing up while rubberneckers watched to see what I was doing at the local park last summer. I was well off the right of way on a bridge shooting a landscape.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here-I've had a few ITAMs as well
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to be "on the radar", make a cell phone call, or use the internet, or take money out of you bank account. Big Brother is watching.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin