Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,392   Online: 1015

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    large digital slrs have pretty much destroyed the concept of "candid photography" in the news business. Bring out one of those monsters and people automatically perform.

Decades ago the dictum of LIFE photographers was that you had to become invisible -- and with a small Leica or Nikon, both very quiet, you could. It is impossible to do so with a massive lensed DSLR, or even a film SLR, and while they do get a lot of different shots than you can with a small rangefinder, the is an intimacy that is lost. LIFE's brilliant photo story by W. Eugene Smith about a day in the life of a country doctor would have been impossible, or at least a lot harder, to shoot by a photographer loaded down with the usual couple of hulking giant lensed cameras.

Of course, very few photographers today are W. Eugene Smith, too. I keep saying, great photography is 5 percent what yu shoot with, 95 percent you.

http://life.time.com/history/life-cl...ntry-doctor/#1

how much you? The article says that Smith spent several days with the doctor taking pictures with no film in the camera so the doctor could get used to Smith, and he spent several weeks on this one assignment. There is no news publication in the country today that would spend that kind of staff time/money. Maybe a freelancer could do it, I dunno. And then nobody publishes that sort of photo essay any more either, so what does it matter?
    A shame, and what are my granddaughters gonna show their grandchildren

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LightBurn Photo View Post
    ahha) I do get looks, but mainly coz of the unusual skin colour of my cameras!

Attachment 75145
    NICE!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a status thing. People are so conditioned to look for labels so they can "rate" you. Nothing more than that imho.

I was accosted by one gentleman who demanded to know what camera I was using. I had all identifying marking covered by black tape. He was incensed that I wouldn't tell him. The point I was trying to make to him was that it's not the camera that makes the photographer (sorry Leica fanboys). Mind you he was wearing highly labelled expensive clothing so brand was very important to him. So sad.
    Last edited by Eric Rose; 10-04-2013 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    It's a status thing. People are so conditioned to look for labels so they can "rate" you. Nothing more than that imho.

I was accosted by one gentleman who demanded to know what camera I was using. I had all identifying marking covered by black tape. He was incensed that I wouldn't tell him. The point I was trying to make to him was that it's not the camera that makes the photographer (sorry Leica fanboys). Mind you he was wearing highly labelled expensive clothing so brand was very important to him. So sad.
    sorry, buyI really think that name-brand equipment increases your chances to get a better image. The photograph is still made by the 12 inches behind the camera but famous brands are sought aftr for good reason!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    No, but my 35mm Stereo Realist sure does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my case, if I'm shooting an F, F2AS, or F3P without a motor drive, no. If I'm shooting one with a drive, or an F4 or F5, yes. Especially the last two. Partly because they kinda look like DSLR's, even though both have rewind cranks and one still has a somewhat analog interface.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    large digital slrs have pretty much destroyed the concept of "candid photography" in the news business. Bring out one of those monsters and people automatically perform.

Decades ago the dictum of LIFE photographers was that you had to become invisible -- and with a small Leica or Nikon, both very quiet, you could. It is impossible to do so with a massive lensed DSLR, or even a film SLR, and while they do get a lot of different shots than you can with a small rangefinder, the is an intimacy that is lost. LIFE's brilliant photo story by W. Eugene Smith about a day in the life of a country doctor would have been impossible, or at least a lot harder, to shoot by a photographer loaded down with the usual couple of hulking giant lensed cameras.

Of course, very few photographers today are W. Eugene Smith, too. I keep saying, great photography is 5 percent what yu shoot with, 95 percent you.

http://life.time.com/history/life-cl...ntry-doctor/#1

how much you? The article says that Smith spent several days with the doctor taking pictures with no film in the camera so the doctor could get used to Smith, and he spent several weeks on this one assignment. There is no news publication in the country today that would spend that kind of staff time/money. Maybe a freelancer could do it, I dunno. And then nobody publishes that sort of photo essay any more either, so what does it matter?
    Well, sort of.

The story I read said he shot for a whole month without film. And that LIFE was not at all pleased that he was taking so long for this story. And it pretty much ended his association with them. But man, it is a wonderful piece of work.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I believe you're correct.
    Last summer some yobbo asked me "what is the zoom ratio of that lens?".
    I was carrying a Nikkormat FTN with the 28/3.5 Nikkor-H, all circa 1970.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP has obviously never used a Hasselblad or 4"x5" camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The OP has obviously never used a Hasselblad or 4"x5" camera.
    Indubitably.
    I recommended he try a mahogany 8x10.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin