Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,902   Online: 1150

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great thread.. When I go out with my trl, I most certainly get a lot of positive response. Most question is can you get film. Absolutely! I reply. I can't get at Walgreens, but order on line at B and H photo, In bricks. A lot of people do the cartoon double take.. They'll walk by me and take a double take and sometime come up ask questions. A lot of times they'll make comments like " What a beautiful camera"! I was talking to one guy and he told me that he has a RB67 that he doesn't use anymore because it cost to to much per photo. 12 cents a shot. I said.. When I'm confined to 12 shots per roll, I'm really careful on what I expose my film too. Thus better pictures in general. I really think there's a place in photography for both film and digital. I got to say tho.. Film cameras are more beautiful in appearance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I generally don't get much response when using my Leica, I do get some when using the Rollei, but what really gets people's attention is when I am out with one of my Graflex SLR's (I have a 2x3. 3x4 and 4x5) or my Speeds. Those DO get attention. I haven't been out much with my 5x7, I'm just starting to get used to using it. The best part of the 4x5 Graflex is the 12 shot bag-mag. It is really cool.

I do have a Nikon D700, but I leave that for shooting small critters, children and birding.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My experience is that big, long lenses get attention, not necessarily modest sized SLR's like an N90 (great camera) w/ a short lens. An N90 will surely be seen as a DSLR anyway. I get some looks when I shoot w/ folders and TLR's, but it's the good sort of attention. People know they're film cameras, or at least some type of antiques, and have no fear that their photo will suddenly appear on an online photo site somewhere. A lot of this depends on the venue, which is why I like shooting beach side and at markets, as people are used to seeing photographers there (as long as you're not shooting photos of their small child w/ that big lens Fixcinator has shown here). Living in a tourist orientated town helps too. I've learned to shoot quickly, put the camera back down after the shot, smile, and move on. Works fine for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    In my case, if I'm shooting an F, F2AS, or F3P without a motor drive, no. If I'm shooting one with a drive, or an F4 or F5, yes. Especially the last two. Partly because they kinda look like DSLR's, even though both have rewind cranks and one still has a somewhat analog interface.

-J
    It's funny you mentioned that, I live in a tourist town on the beach so cameras are a dime a dozen. I have never been nopticed till this summer. I decided to give my F3HP/MD4 a workout. Was unnoticed till the click-whirrclick-whirr started. Then I had an audience and questions like, " Is that a new type of camera?", " How many megapixels does it have?"

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't really get bothered when I have a camera, I walk to work and carry a camera every day, usually one of my slrs. When I get asked is when I go shoot a jam session or band and all the smokers are outside. Even worse when they're drunk. Its things like, dude you're such a hipster, or wow, I haven't seen a film camera in 20 years!

Though when I'm walking through the park to work and stop at the base of a tree and am staring up it for 10 minutes I get some odd looks! One time an elderly walked up behind me unnoticed and started staring up the tree too. Startled me when she suddenly asked what I was looking for, lol! I told her the Allen's Hummingbird I could hear, she prompty turned up hr haring aid and litened closely, but never heard it.

-Xander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I believe you're correct.
    Last summer some yobbo asked me "what is the zoom ratio of that lens?".
    I was carrying a Nikkormat FTN with the 28/3.5 Nikkor-H, all circa 1970.
    I have had similar comments when shooting with short telephotos (105mm, 135mm, 180mm): "What's the range of that zoom lens?" "How fast is that zoom?" "Is that an autofocus zoom?" (LOL) The "confusion," I believe, relates, at least in part, to the massive autofocus lenses that seem to hang off every second DSLR one sees.

Insofar as "being on the radar," No one seems to pay any attention if I happen to be shooting with the Leicas; likewise with a motorless Nikon (with sub-85mm lenses). However, if the camera I am shooting with is motorized (especially the F2/MD2) and I happen to have a longer lens on front, I am aware that folks do take notice.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They don't seem to much notice my 35mm SLRs, except for an occasional comment about "cool, a film camera" or "wow, a film camera." They notice the M645 even less. I think they assume it's digital, or maybe a movie camera. The 4x5 Linhof gets either questions or polite avoidance of the crazy man with the cloth over his head.

The Yashicamat gets smiles and compliments frequently. People just love TLRs (and I love using it too.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The Yashicamat gets smiles and compliments frequently. People just love TLRs (and I love using it too.)
    +1 on TLRs. Everyone seems to love them, especially kids.

Big lenses also draw lots of attention, but the camera then becomes secondary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I have had similar comments when shooting with short telephotos (105mm, 135mm, 180mm): "What's the range of that zoom lens?" "How fast is that zoom?" "Is that an autofocus zoom?" (LOL) The "confusion," I believe, relates, at least in part, to the massive autofocus lenses that seem to hang off every second DSLR one sees.

Insofar as "being on the radar," No one seems to pay any attention if I happen to be shooting with the Leicas; likewise with a motorless Nikon (with sub-85mm lenses). However, if the camera I am shooting with is motorized (especially the F2/MD2) and I happen to have a longer lens on front, I am aware that folks do take notice.
    "Zoom Ratio" seems to be big in the advertisements. But a 28?? It's no bigger than a standard 50...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes ... been there, but with a larger than 35mm camera. Try using an 8 x 20 at a railroad museum and enjoy the spectacle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	75345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin