Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,555   Online: 869

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Spending a large portion of my time on university campus, I get many glances. Some from amateurs who are interested themselves in 'big cameras', or wants to report back to a friend who owns one. Innumerable folks walking about with bright 'CANON 5D mkII' straps around their necks here. I've also been assumed to be shooting for some media purposes for the university (which I have done briefly), and have gotten myself into events without credentials in the past walking in with confidence and a D3+70-200, folks here seem to be very aware of what big cameras look like. With eyes shifting back and forth so quickly and in such high volume of students walking around, it's pretty challenging to shoot unnoticed. I've been most successful so far with tilt-displays and waist-level finders; it appears that the motion of raising a camera to the eye calls much attention. Alternatively, standing around and pretending to fumble about with my settings like a novice seems to diffuse indirect tension in the air a small bit, like turning away from a wild animal as it senses your approach.

With medium format, I've been a bit of a spectacle, getting comments here and there, mostly from older gentlemen about how they shot similar cameras and how surprising it is to see someone my age (21) shooting MF film. Once at the Getty museum in L.A., I was approached by three gentlemen from different parties, all excited about seeing a RB67 in the wild. Perhaps I've met one of you from this forum?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle80 View Post
    My TLRs and 6x9 folders get a lot more attention than my SLRs. Having said that, I will say that something else happens when I use my SLR. So many SLRs are digital now people ask me if they can look at the picture on the screen. Or they'll ask me to "delete" a posed picture they didn't think went well. When I tell them there is no screen and no delete they express surprise or disappointment that it's a film camera. This only happens when I use the N2000, which doesn't have a winding lever. That sort of thing doesn't happen with most of my cameras, just the plastic shelled SLR.
    N2000!--my favorite, easiest-to-use manual Nikon (because of the clear and comprehensive finder readouts). I get noticed w/my G1 & G2 and C330, but not any of my Nikons.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get a few looks and comments when I'm out with my AE-1 Program, on the other hand when I go out with my RB67 theres all kinds of rubber necking.

Shooter
    35mm
    With my Yashica TLR it's all positive, some smiles or curious looks, people poking each other, pointing and smiling...comments like wow that's a beautiful camera.

With a 50mm prime on my F100, not so much...as others have said, with a larger lens people do notice and try to get out of the way when I don't want them to. They duck or turn away, change direction to walk behind me etc. A big lens pointed in someone's general direction will make them uneasy, that's been my experience.

When I'm out on the street now I usually shoot with my Olympus stylus epic. It fits in the palm of my hand and I can shoot it one-handed when necessary. It's a great camera and I am rarely noticed with it, even shooting in close quarters, people don't seem to care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, when I go out with my 4"x5" Graflex Model D, people notice the slr.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, when I go out with my 4"x5" Graflex Model D, people notice the slr.
    Sirius:

But don't they just come up to you and say "Isn't that not your Hasselblad?"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I do not get Hassled Badly which is use the Graflex Model D.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using my Pentax 645n gets some attention. I was shooting a dog tooth violet in my front yard, tripod, focus rail, 120 macro, cable release, when my next door neighbor hollers "Mighty fancy camera, George! Is it a Nikon?" So I had to explain, no, its a Pentax, it takes 120 roll film, the usual thing. Once shooting in South Carolina near the beach some yob asked, "How many megapixels is that thing?" When I replied that it depended on the film I used and how I scanned it he wandered off, mumbling something that sounded like "!@#@$# smart a**"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my RB67 lens, I have a Nikon cap so some interesting conversations get started or comments go on around me, with people thinking I dont hear or understand what they're talking about. (with the motley of tongues, I suppose, it can be a fair assumption).
    A lot of conversation deals in how great x brand of camera is or isn't. And quite a few mistake RB67 for a video camera - more so cos I'm using the wlf and tripod.
    It is always a great conversation starter, its almost like dangling a woolen thread at a bunch of kittens - reactions vary in intensity but boy, aren't they all curious!!

The most recent one was with a farmer as I was taking long exposure street shots on my Nikon Digital during Dasara Celebrations in Mysore. A 15min chat that was interesting and educative - we talked a lot about the city and its heritage etc.,

And the WLF or live view gets a lot of people just wanting to peep in and see what I'm so excited about photographing.

Oh, and having a camera+ gear n wielding it like you own the place gets you in many places where you wouldn't get entry otherwise!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by analoguey; 10-18-2013 at 01:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whilst I have never been aware of attracting attention when using a bulky 35mm SLR or occasionally a TLR, my wife tells me that I used to cause a lot of staring when I used a small digital P+S with its add on EVF. Needless to say I didn't attract attention when holding the same camera at arm's length without the EVF.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin