Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,398   Online: 1001

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If someone asks 'how many pixels'? you can always say 'more than there are grains of sand in a desert'
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get funny looks when I am out with my kowa six, or ae-1p. People are so surprised to see a 14-year old lugging around film gear. I even get asked by some if I can still get film for them, especially when loading reloaded old 35mm rolls!

rabbitvcactus

P.S. Hello! I'm new!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUgland!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always wondered about that with long lenses in the civilian world, especially in this day and age of hypervigilant public servants and white knights. "I thought it was a rocket launcher" while the photographer lays dead on the sidewalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked for a small daily newspaper in the early 1960's. I used a 4x5 Speed Graphic with flash and power pack.

I always got noticed.

If you wanna get noticed, wear a 4x5 Speed Graphic with flash and power pack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    large digital slrs have pretty much destroyed the concept of "candid photography" in the news business. Bring out one of those monsters and people automatically perform.

Decades ago the dictum of LIFE photographers was that you had to become invisible -- and with a small Leica or Nikon, both very quiet, you could. It is impossible to do so with a massive lensed DSLR, or even a film SLR, and while they do get a lot of different shots than you can with a small rangefinder, the is an intimacy that is lost. LIFE's brilliant photo story by W. Eugene Smith about a day in the life of a country doctor would have been impossible, or at least a lot harder, to shoot by a photographer loaded down with the usual couple of hulking giant lensed cameras.
    Agree with your comments. As an ex-pro who started out when photojournalism was the prevailing influence several decades back, I quit in frustration when the industry shoved digital down our throats. Those first and second generation digi cameras were truly awful. Looking at the excellent W Eugene Smith essay, I would guess all those shots were taken on his Leica using just 35mm & 50mm lenses. An object lesson for those who feel under-equipped without two or three zoom lenses on board.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think SLRs attract more negative attention, whereas TLRs attract more positive attention, when people notice them at all. I've seen the hostile stare directed at SLR users far more often, and have had people actively duck out of the way of what they think is what I'm photographing. Shooting with my Rollei, I've never had a negative reaction, just lots of smiles and enthusiastic comments. Out shooting with the large/ultra large format stuff, that really draws a lot of attention and I often spend as much if not more time explaining about the camera and doing demos as I do taking photos.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's partly the size of the front element, and partly the nature of the camera. An SLR typically has a large 'eye', and who wants to be stared at by one of those? SLRs say serious in a way a point and shoot never will. If people think they're being captured on an amateur, 'fun' camera they react in a different way to being studied by a professional one.

I recall one photographer saying he covered his camera in silly stickers to make it, and him, appear less threatening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    large digital slrs have pretty much destroyed the concept of "candid photography" in the news business. Bring out one of those monsters and people automatically perform.

Decades ago the dictum of LIFE photographers was that you had to become invisible -- and with a small Leica or Nikon, both very quiet, you could. It is impossible to do so with a massive lensed DSLR, or even a film SLR, and while they do get a lot of different shots than you can with a small rangefinder, the is an intimacy that is lost. LIFE's brilliant photo story by W. Eugene Smith about a day in the life of a country doctor would have been impossible, or at least a lot harder, to shoot by a photographer loaded down with the usual couple of hulking giant lensed cameras.

Of course, very few photographers today are W. Eugene Smith, too. I keep saying, great photography is 5 percent what yu shoot with, 95 percent you.

http://life.time.com/history/life-cl...ntry-doctor/#1

how much you? The article says that Smith spent several days with the doctor taking pictures with no film in the camera so the doctor could get used to Smith, and he spent several weeks on this one assignment. There is no news publication in the country today that would spend that kind of staff time/money. Maybe a freelancer could do it, I dunno. And then nobody publishes that sort of photo essay any more either, so what does it matter?
    The NY Times publishes photo essays on the internet and sometimes in their paper . Some are from various sources. Some are sepcific essays done by a single photoghrapher. http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/ I don't know if the paper pays in advance or how they handle these things. But essays are a real way to put substance into your photos. We all do it when we go on vacation and shoot a "slide show" for the family. But nothing is stopping anyone from doing a show that is more "public" in nature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I'm out shooting in a park with a little M43 Olympus E-PL1 with my senior citizen friends. I like shooting with a tripod when I'm doing landscapes. So this blonde chick comes over to see what I'm doing. Maybe she liked my tripod. So anyway she gets real close to see through the viewfinder. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alankle...57625797001770 Nothing like this use to happen when I was single and younger.

So my friend Mel, who's an artist and who shot the picture, decides to paint a likeness of the photo adding a goose posing for the shot for some humor. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alankle...57625797001770

You can't make this stuff up!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin