Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,832   Online: 912

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tokam View Post
    . I still have the goretex shell jacket
    made by, I think, the Mountain Equipment Company. A really well made garment.
    Most likely, Mountain Equipment Co-op. And yes, very well made.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Most likely, Mountain Equipment Co-op. And yes, very well made.
    +1. MEC clothing is de rigueur for us Left Coast snappers! Keeps us (and our equipment) dry when the skies open up in November (and continues with the wet stuff until...).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I'm just getting into film so I'm not sure how folks in my area would react to an older slr, although my t3i sure gets some looks when I have the 70-200 f4L on it, especially with the hood attached lol. I mostly take it to drag races or autoX, so people usually aren't suspicious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using my 35mm gear I rarely get a second glance (even when setting up on a tripod). However, with my Minolta Autocord TLR I usually get a bevy of second glances. When using my RB67 the floodgate opens!

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I used to carry a 35mm SLR with me everywhere, it seemed that it was totally invisible to most people....but, I never had any 35mm gear that looked even remotely "professional".

I used to have a black Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 . With a boring Yashica ML 50mm f/2 lens mounted, it really seemed invisible - until I tripped the shutter which was unexpectedly loud.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any film camera puts you "on the radar" these days. People often see me shooting and ask something like, "can you still get film for those?" It's not really a stupid question as APS, 126, 110, Disc, etc, are all gone. A few months ago, an older gentleman tried to buy my Minolta HiMatic 7S as I was using it. Apparently he once owned one and missed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I'm using my 35mm, people assume it's digital and ask how many megapixels it is. When they learn it is a film camera they usually don't ask if I can still get film because they don't assume I'm an idiot who runs around pretending to take pictures.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I think SLRs attract more negative attention, whereas TLRs attract more positive attention, when people notice them at all. I've seen the hostile stare directed at SLR users far more often, and have had people actively duck out of the way of what they think is what I'm photographing. Shooting with my Rollei, I've never had a negative reaction, just lots of smiles and enthusiastic comments. Out shooting with the large/ultra large format stuff, that really draws a lot of attention and I often spend as much if not more time explaining about the camera and doing demos as I do taking photos.
    I agree with this sentiment. It is hard not to get noticed when taking a photo; even with an iphone or a Ricoh GR of some variant.

Using a SLR, especially if it looks like (heaven forbid) a DSLR like the N90, seems to attract negative attention. Like you're some rich old guy, or worse yet, potential pedophile or some political activist. People tend to be critical of people using cameras that look like the black modern DSLRs.

When using any one of my other more interesting cameras, the look is more of curosity or nostaligia.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin