Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,115   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

OM-2S Program light meter issue

I just got a OM-2S Program. Cosmetically it is in 'user' condition (that is, some brassing, and a chip out of the plastic around the hot shoe). Shutter and film advance are perfect, view finder is bright and clean.

The problem I'm running into is the light meter is working just enough to give me hope, but I don't know how to fix it short of sending it off for CLA (which I'm not sure the camera is worth to me - I love the ergonomics of my OM40, and the OM-2S really needs a small grip to match that).

The light meter is reporting many (at least 5) stops too low. It scales properly; so if I change my aperture it moves up one stop. I've put some fresh silver batteries in it, no change. I haven't tried it with film in it yet, but I don't think that should affect anything else (my OM40 also has a TTL OTF meter, and it works the same regardless of whether or not film is loaded).

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? My google-fu isn't pulling up anything useful other than the service manual; which showed me how to adjust the light meter directly, and it also showed me how incredibly hard that job would be for someone of my skill level.

In other news, I also got a Nikon FA at the same time, and holy cow that is a nice camera. But I already have Olympus lenses, and I'd rather have a second body that uses those than start collecting a whole other set of lenses...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try a different ISO setting.

If that has no improvement set the minimum ISO and maximum ISO three times and then try the above ISO setting.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May I know, whether you put the camera in manual or auto mode.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Xmas: I'll give that a shot. I have tried turning up the ISO all the way to see if I could cheat just by offsetting the iso.

Baachitraka: I was using it in manual mode. Aside from the display changing, does it meter differently when in Auto or Program mode?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In program mode, the aperture needs to be set to minimum for the meter to set proper shutter/aperture combo. Auto mode is aperture priority and sets shutter speed accordingly. Manual/spot mode displays a bar graph with += symbols for over/under exposure warning. There is a single photo cell facing toward the film plane, and only takes (partial) reading from light passing through the mirror, and actual reading is accomplished from direct reading of light reflected from film.
    My suggestion is to test the camera with film and printing the results ascertain if it functions properly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try it with another lens - just in case the problem is with the portion of the lens mount that communicates the aperture setting back to the camera.

And try shooting a roll of film in auto mode, with bracketing, in case the OTF metering is working, when the in the viewfinder metering isn't.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes, the ASA/Meter switch can get a little gunked up and doesn't make a good contact. Try setting different ASA settings several times as the contacts can make a better electrical connection when you move the setting dial.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The meter is the weak link with this camera. If the circuit goes bad, which is what is likely causing your problem, new circuit are not available. Nice paper weight. Who you would want to contact about a CLA is Camtech, (zuiko.com) The OM 2S is one of my favorites. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    The meter is the weak link with this camera. If the circuit goes bad, which is what is likely causing your problem, new circuit are not available. Nice paper weight. Who you would want to contact about a CLA is Camtech, (zuiko.com) The OM 2S is one of my favorites. Bill Barber
    Yes it is an electronic camera and any electronic fault is parts camera but a body only OM10 or OM1 are easy replacements.

if the altering the ISO setting alters the manual exposure then the electronics is ok and the 2nd mirror may have stuck up or partly up.
    you could remove the lens and lock the shutter on B.
    get a can of Zippo and a cassette tub and large darning needle and drip a droplet of Zippo on hinge then dry fire the camera 50 times on 1/125 then try meter again.
    Not Im assuming the mirror has a half silver and mini mirror for the spot like an OM4 too long since I used one.
    Don't clean the mirror or play with the hinge of the mini mirror try droplets and excersise lots of times.
    if the fault clears don't lube use the camera more frequently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin