Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,147   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Smooth operator - Nikon FE2

A while ago I was awarded a $100 bonus for my hard work, and as such, used it to buy a Nikon FE2. I simply love the camera - one of the nicest Nikons I own. A while ago on another forum site, a guy wrote that Minolta's XE-7 has the smoothest film advance ever made. After using the FE2 I'd be inclined to think the FE2 is right up there - or is my FE2 loosey goosey? It advances very nicely with little effort and the film has been spot-on evenly spaced between frames.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the opportunity to use a Nikon FE once for a couple of weeks. I found it to be a really nice camera- even if the lens focuses backwards.
    So many great cameras from that era. Enjoy it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The XE-7 is very nice in terms of winding smoothness. I have to try again with my FE2, but I don't remember it being as smooth.

Shooter
    35mm
    The XE-7 I have has the smoothest film advance compared to all my others - Minolta or other brands. Have you compared it to an XE-7 or any other camera?
    For instance, according to MIR review of the F3 it states, "Through the use of eleven ball bearings in its shutter and film winding assemblies (most cameras use only one or two) the F3 represents a big advance in smooth and quiet operation. And to reduce film winding torque even more, Nikon created a completely new film winding mechanism and interconnecting gear trains for the most efficient transmission of energy." My F3 is smooth but near the end of the stroke, there is a "catch" that requires a little extra effort while the XE-7 is gliding smooth all the way through. To your point - as good a condition as my F3's are in, they are not in factory new so they may not be as smooth as they were originally.
    It's too bad they don't identify the amount of torque in the specifications as that would provide a good reference to judge the condition particularly of the older cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Les, yes, I do have an XE-5 which is nicely smooth, but tends to scratch negatives. I also have, as a matter of fact, an XE-7 on the way, to compare with.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dunno about those but among my Pentaxes the MX wins, hands down, From the smooth wind to the near silent shutter and just-so feel in the hand I love that camera. My LX has more features and is a great camera but the MX beats it for sheer ergonomic joy of use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The smoothest operating camera I have ever owned is my Canon E.F. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_camera
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Smooth describes the first Canon F-1
    You feel the nice build up of tension floating on those ball bearings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in my house, the family nick named the Nikon FE as the 'jewel' for a reason. i is everyone's favorite.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Smooth describes the first Canon F-1
    You feel the nice build up of tension floating on those ball bearings
    I have three Canon New F1' s, but my Canon EF is smoother than any of them, I.M.O it's the smoothest Canon ever made.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin