Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,057   Online: 965

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Yet again, scratched negatives, no cause found

I have yet another body that scratches negatives. It's a Minolta XE-7 and it's pretty bad. The thing is, the scratches are (and in every other camera I've seen this in) on the non-emulsion side, like, they're coming from the film pressure plate. But THAT item seems to have a perfectly smooth surface. Anyone ever have this issue and track it down? I would love to fix this body if I can but it'll go in the trash if I can't fix it.

Example image:

In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wolfeye, is this factory film or are you reloading. If reloading the scratches could be coming from the reloader or from the cassettes you are using.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is factory film.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wolfeye, try stopping the film partway through the camera. Make a reference mark, then remove the film. If you see a point where the scratch suddenly stops, this should show the exact position in the camera where it comes from. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    where are you getting the film processed? Some commercial processors, especially cheap ones, are not all that good at keeping their equipment clean. Just before the local costco quit doing film i noticed my film from them coming back pretty scratched up.

Try some black and white and soup it yourself, or just run a roll through the camera, rewind it, take it out, open the can and inspect the film. This way you eliminate the camera, or confirm it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It can be the pressure plate.

There need not be any visible mars so either use a jewlers loope (a camera lens makes a good substitute) or rub film on the plate by hand orthogonal to normal movement and compare scratches with exposed film.

Treating a rust eruption difficult brass or silver metal polish first option on cotton bud (q tip) for America (cousins).

Shooter
    35mm
    I had this exact issue a while back. It was in my Yashica Electro 35 GSN and Kodak Gold 200. I take my film to a professional lab and they were stumped as well. I gave them the camera and told them to hang onto thenegs to find out the issue, they tracked it down to poor handeling during development. Camera was ruled out because the scratches weren't all in the same place or direction like the pressure plate would cause.

-Xander

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's probably debris on the negative.

A scratch probably would be a darker color.

Look at the negative and see if you can wipe off the "scratch" with a moistened tissue or cotton ball.

If not, then maybe it is a scratch.

Shooter
    35mm
    An update - I'm pretty sure it's the pressure plate, although it feels smooth to me. I repainted it but that did no good. So I now have it removed and will sand it and repaint it once again. I'm not sure what sort of paint to use though. My black acrylic seems to hold up pretty good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well if you have repainted it you need the paint to be cured completely then you need to polish it with fine abrasive like metal polish on a plate glass

you need an optical flat, Leitz used a glass plate in early M3s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin