Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,352   Online: 835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the R series bodies are amazing bargains right now -- practically giving them away, which is a shame in a way -- the lack of respect for such a fine machine. I've got to SL2s and an R4 and they're all superior machines. The automation on the R4 requires the usual intelligent work-arounds, but that's life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulation, I did the same route - from Nikon to Leica R. I do sometimes notice the difference between the lenses, especially wide open. The build quality is the same - Nikon is good! Your Summicron-R 50mm is among the very best lenses, you can shoot it wide open with confidence. I do find the camera (R4) too small for my mediu-sized hands - it's the size of an OM-1 ater all - so I did get myself a MD with a grip. There are several grips by the way: the R4 grip, the R4-R6.2 and the R7 grip which is a bit longer to accommodate for the taller R7 body an therefore too long for other cameras. The quality feel of the R cameras is not comparable to a Leicaflex or an M Leica, but hey, the are small quiet and disposable.
    Enjoy it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot the Leica R lenses (although, in it's own way, the Nikkor H 50 2.0 I have is every bit as good and a heck of a lot lighter). Never cared for the R cameras, except for the original Leicaflex and SL models. Those cameras are really nice, but far too big for a 35mm camera! A nice setup is a R 90 Elmarit w/ adapter screwed onto something like an EM or FG. I use my N8008s when I need more exact metering and the higher shutter speeds, but my Nikkormat FT2 works well in other situations. Sorry to say so much about Nikons, but their cameras really are superb. To me, the R series is about the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I shoot the Leica R lenses (although, in it's own way, the Nikkor H 50 2.0 I have is every bit as good and a heck of a lot lighter). Never cared for the R cameras, except for the original Leicaflex and SL models. Those cameras are really nice, but far too big for a 35mm camera! A nice setup is a R 90 Elmarit w/ adapter screwed onto something like an EM or FG. I use my N8008s when I need more exact metering and the higher shutter speeds, but my Nikkormat FT2 works well in other situations. Sorry to say so much about Nikons, but their cameras really are superb. To me, the R series is about the glass.
    Years ago I had the use of an R-3 MOT with the Summicron. I now have two of the 50mm Nikkor Hs, and comparing slides made with the two lenses, there is a slight difference in contrast and color balance; the Nikkors are reputed to have some barrel distortion but not having taken pictures of brick walls and test charts, I can't see it. There is a difference between the Summicron and the Nikkors but you have to work to see it. Those Nikkors are d@mn nice lenses!

The Leicaflex SL2 was the last 'echte' Leitz reflex, the R3 was actually based on a Minolta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My first Leica, WOW!

Congrats on the new set up. Which Nikons have you used? If you have not used an F2 try it. I half-jokingly call it the Leica of the Nikon bodies. Smooth operation...like butta'.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following are my favorite Leica R lenses. I have owned them all at some point or another. Today I have the 100 and 280.

Leica 19/2.8 II
    Leica 100/2.8 APO macro
    Leica 180/2.8 APO
    Leica 280/4 APO

These lenses are the best of the best. Amazing color rendition and contrast. These lenses are getting very very expensive on the used market and I have made money turning several copies over the years.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikons I have are FG, F100, N60, D200. I have used an F2 (among others), and am still looking for one at a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong, I love my nikons and they surely do have some excellent glass out there! Part of my decision to go for the R leica is the glass can also be used on my Nikons. I happen to enjoy the compact size of the R4, and even though the design was originally partnered with Minolta, Leica still did quite a bit their own way. It is not just a Minolta body.

The R 90 Elmarit is the lens I have been looking at getting. Fortunately, my local lab/studio owner is a Leica fan and has the R lenses from 21 to 180 and a 70-200 zoom, she said I can try them out and see which one I would want to buy next.

Anyways, I am really enjoying using this camera!

-Xander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast14riot View Post
    The Nikons I have are FG, F100, N60, D200. I have used an F2 (among others), and am still looking for one at a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong, I love my nikons and they surely do have some excellent glass out there! Part of my decision to go for the R leica is the glass can also be used on my Nikons. I happen to enjoy the compact size of the R4, and even though the design was originally partnered with Minolta, Leica still did quite a bit their own way. It is not just a Minolta body.
    The R 90 Elmarit is the lens I have been looking at getting. Fortunately, my local lab/studio owner is a Leica fan and has the R lenses from 21 to 180 and a 70-200 zoom, she said I can try them out and see which one I would want to buy next.

Anyways, I am really enjoying using this camera!

-Xander
    No, it isn't. The R3 was a joy, so was the CL I also had the use of. I believe Minolta made the body casting, mirror box, electronics and other parts, but the camera was assembled and finished by Leitz with a Leitz/Copal electronic shutter, some in Germany and most in Portugal. The Minolta series developed in parallel with the R3 was the XE- series. My point was that the SL-2 was the last purely Leitz SLR, much as the 1931 8 Litre was the last true Bentley.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    ...it's the size of an OM-1 ater all...
    Actually, it's the size of a Minolta XD-7/11 - exactly the same size.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Shooting with a LEICA is like a long tender kiss, like firing an automatic pistol, like an hour on the analyist's couch. - Henri Cartier-Bresson

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin