Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Medium Format

Contax G2 shutter issues with Planar 2/45mm

Hi there,

Just received my contax G2 back from ToCAD USA for a shutter repair (I would highly recommend their services). The camera is working perfectly, except the shutter will not fire with the Planar 45mm lens attached. It fires just fine with the lens off, or with the 28mm mounted. I've cleaned the contacts on the lens and the body, but the issue is still there. I hadn't shot with the 45mm in a while before I sent the body in for repair, so I can't say wether or not this is a new issue or the problem was apparent before the repair.

Has anyone had a similar issue with their Contax G2?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    check the focus pin follower on lens is ok

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The follow pin seems to move freely with the same amount of resistance as my 28mm, and the lens will focus properly when mounted to the body. the AF reads out the correct distance to subject. The shutter still wont fire!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanmega View Post
    The follow pin seems to move freely with the same amount of resistance as my 28mm, and the lens will focus properly when mounted to the body. the AF reads out the correct distance to subject. The shutter still wont fire!
    Switch to MF and see if the shutter fires. If it does then you might not have been letting the AF lock and therefore the shutter was not firing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It still won't fire in MF. I just tested it with my 90mm and it fires just fine with that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Contax G2 shutter issues with Planar 2/45mm

It still won't fire in MF. I just tested it with my 90mm and it fires just fine with that lens.
    Well it was worth a try. In my 10+ years involved in the Contax G Pages and it's related forums (all now defunct) I never heard anybody having this issue with any of the G lenses. I've owned and used every single one of the G lenses except for the zoom and the 16mm and I've never had any shutter problems like this. Only thing I can think of is to make sure you polish and clean all the metal contacts on the 45.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Well it was worth a try. In my 10+ years involved in the Contax G Pages and it's related forums (all now defunct) I never heard anybody having this issue with any of the G lenses. I've owned and used every single one of the G lenses except for the zoom and the 16mm and I've never had any shutter problems like this. Only thing I can think of is to make sure you polish and clean all the metal contacts on the 45.
    Never mind. I see you did that already. I'm stumped.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found that if I move my aperture ring back and forth before I mount he 45, all is well. Worth a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    I have found that if I move my aperture ring back and forth before I mount he 45, all is well. Worth a try.
    Wow. I tried this and it actually worked. Thanks damonff, I was about one hair away from just buying a new 45mm. Yesssss!

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow. I tried this and it actually worked. Thanks damonff, I was about one hair away from just buying a new 45mm. Yesssss!
    Yes! I discovered this problem last year when I was trying to mount my 90. I was so mad. I thought my camera or my lens was broken. Now I do this every time I change lenses and it hasn't happened again.

So glad I could help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin